So Frustrated With The Shelter

kmwolf563

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have posted under new foster of 3.

My 3 foster kittens are 6 weeks old now. 2 are doing great. They came to me at 6 days old, mom was a barn cat and was killed. 2 initially had problems with constipation. One is great now. The other, I just don't know..... Here's the story of my frustration. I have been in to see either the vet who is at the shelter 3 days a week, or one of the vet techs at least once a week for the past 5 weeks. This little guy, Miles, had fairly normal poops wile I gave him olive oil in his formula. Then he started constantly oozing so, I stopped it. He also cries when he strains, and may or may not actually pass any stool. The vet suggested giving Miralax once a day. I'd been doing that until the oozing started again. The crying has continued.

Last Saturday, he strained and cried a lot during the day with no results. Then about 6 pm, he started pooping normal poops. That continued through Sunday. Then Monday, we were back at square one. Oozing, and crying. By Wednesday, he was passing a little more stool, but most of it was in his fur, I actually had to put him under the faucet to get it all out. 3 times, that morning. Then I noticed that he was screaming when I dried him. I saw and felt swelling on either side of his tail. I took him in to be checked.

It wasn't a vet day, so the vet techs saw him and told me they thought that the swelling was thickening from having to clean him so often. That doesn't sound right to me. I had a planned 2 day trip scheduled the next day, Thursday until today. I brought the 3 of them in to stay there while I was gone. I thought," good, because the vet is there on Thursday, and they can see what he does ". I picked them up this afternoon. They were given a different worm treatment (all 3), their distemper shot on Friday, and I have new treatments. FortiFlora, and an ointment for his butt ( an Animax like med) I'm lying down with the little guy so can't get the tube.... They said he had a good stool today. I'm finding that hard to believe. His butt was caked with poop, and he needed a bath when we got home.

I brought 6 big cans of Royal Canin babycat food in with them on Thursday, because for me, the eat about 1/2 can divided among all 3 at each of 4 feedings a day. Funny that when I got home and emptied the bag, there were 5 cans in the bag.... I don't know why they would't have used my free food. And Miles lost 1/2 ounce, Max 1/4 ounce, and Mabel stayed the same.In 2 days..... Miles weighs 1.2.5 lbs, Max 1.6 and Mabel 1.7.

I'm really considering calling my vet on Monday to see if they will see him for a second opinion. Other than crying, and not pooping normally and still having the swelling, and crying when i clean him or touch the swollen area, he is more laid back than his siblings, but does play and rough house with them, just started climbing up the furniture today, and is a cutie.

I'm not sure what to do and feel like they are not listening to me. Do any of you who have fostered gone outside the loop ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like the poor little guy may need antibiotics. It's clear that something is not right with him that needs treating. Seeing your own vet will give you peace of mind, as long as you don't mind footing the bill. I certainly understand your frustration.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmwolf563

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. My thoughts exactly. I voiced my thoughts to them on Wednesday, wondering if he could have gotten bitten by a sibling and had stool introduced, or as a result of chafing (which there doesn't seem to be). They seemed to dismiss it pretty readily. Something has not been right since the beginning with this guy. He's on the top in this photo. I definitely don't mind footing the bill.

Attachments

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you sign a contract with them?

You might try giving him probiotics for a few days and see if that doesn't help. It sounds to me like there's something blocking in his tummy. Tell me you are using non-clumping litter.

Also butt baths, even every day, should not cause swelling.
I am also with Sarthur2 on this one, he may need some antibiotics. But, if you are under a contract, the shelter vet will have to give them, or they can sue you.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could ask about using coconut oil on his rear - it is painless and has soothing, antibacterial properties, at least until you can to see your vet. You can double-check your contract but I think that even if they chose to sue, they'd have a tough time proving damages due to a breach esp as you are acting as an advocate for the kitten. Such cuties - prayers n vibes 4 the precious darlings

kmwolf563

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a contract. I'll attach a photo of that part regarding outside care below. Yes I use Yesterday's News litter. Hate it but use it.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds to me from the fourth initialed paragraph that you may go at your own expense if it is an "emergency".

It sounds like an "emergency" to me. ;)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was too small to read. But mine said that if I go to an outside vet and they administer medicine which caused the kitten any harm, then I would be held liable.

If yours doesn't say that, then I'd take him to an outside vet.

kmwolf563

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sad. I set up an appointment with MY vet for today at 2:30. Then I cleaned Miles' bum and realized that the swelling was MUCH worse this morning and very shiny. So, I knew I couldn't wait till this afternoon, and called my emergency shelter person. and brought him there. They were shocked at the looks of it. And he still hadn't pooped since at least Saturday afternoon. They sedated him, gave him enemas and got lots of soft stool that he should have been able to pas, out. The vet is pretty sure that he had a congenital megacolon. When I got him at 6 days old, he was full of hard stool that looked like yellow clay litter. That's how hard it was. He spent most of yesterday trying to poop. So, the vet put him down....... I still don't know what the swelling was. Related or not. His 2 siblings are great. So I will concentrate on loving them and getting them ready for new homes. I will only have them till the 28th because we are leaving on vacation. They will only be 7 1/2 weeks old so will be going to another foster until surgery and adoption.:(