So frustrated. Started as acne, now skin infection?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cold water removes soap residue. Cold water also inhibits bacteria growth.

Wash and rinse with hot first, then rinse again, in cold. :)

I've read that about whiskers and using plates vs bowl, too. When I tried using the Corelle plates though, they licked the food off the plate. They didn't seem to like this, so I went with the very shallow saucers instead.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi :). My cat Pipsqueak had the exact same chin as your cat last summer. HUGE HUGE pustules and a deep tissue infection. He needed Baytril to help clear. It was his diet. He was switched to Hill's C/D cat food for his Urinary condition. The acne came on right after the food. It could be food/diet related for sure, or an environmental allergen. Everyone thinks chin acne is from plastic bowls - and yes - that is absolutely true. BUT chin acne is also a sign of something in the diet causing the over production of the sebaceous glands trying to clean itself out of body wastes.

This is what I would recommend and check with your vet. I used daily Hibiclens http://www.hibiclens.com/. You can get this at any pharmacy, not expensive. Wash twice daily at first. Then use Mupirocin ointment http://www.medicinenet.com/mupirocin-topical_ointment/article.htm. From the vet. Apply the ointment after the chin has dried. Apply once daily. It is a very thick ointment and you only need to use a small amount. Rub in.

Also, shave the chin completely so you can get down to the skin and clogged, infected pores. Also, might need the antibiotic to get the skin infection under control. Pipsqueak's chin was so very, very painful and swollen. I couldn't believe it. He is now on a raw diet!!! No more chin acne. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: Good luck :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why would glass and ceramic be better than Stainless steel? Is there a difference in bacteria build up? Just curious..

Be careful with ceramic too. Over time the bowls can get microscopic cracks that harbor bacteria. I agree with Otto and use Corelle dishes or glass. I also use my Pickard China appetizer sized plates :flail:. Yep - my cats eat in style. :lol3: If you use stainless - I would use Durapet bowls.