So distressed.TRYING to be patient.

tamra747

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The precious new little 6 week old  kitten I just got for my 6 yr old Grandboy(and of course for me)lol...well,she's pooping all over the place (incuding RIGHT by my shoulder in the middle of the night)not sure how I woke up out of a sound sleep to SEE it...oh.,and its somewhat runny like semi diahhrea(?)...I have had kittens/cats before,but its been years,and I know that the best thing to do is put their poop in their litter box in hopes she'll catch on...but Dixie isn't getting the hint.What else can I do? Any help would be appreciated.

Oh,and I started her out on soft canned food & it was soooo bad.(her poop)runny.So I went back to petsmart immediately and got her purina kitten chow.But I have to add a tad bit of water to soften it cuz she can't eat it hard.

What to do??? Hellllp...please??

Thank u in advance

Tammi n Dixie

luvmy4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Six weeks is really young to be separated from her mother. Has she been to the vet yet for shots and deworming? I'm not sure that do that before 9 weeks or not, hopefully someone who has more experience with kittens will know.

At that age she probably needs a couple litter boxes so that they are always close by. A house or apartment can be a real big place to such a small kitten. Take her to the box immediately when you catch her pooping outside the litter box. Also, get her checked out or call the vet and at least see if they recommend a visit now, she will have to go in soon anyways if she hasn't already.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Six weeks is about half the age it is recommended to take a kitten from its mother.

l agree she is probably stressed, and would really benefit from being kept quiet in a small room with litter and food - like a bathroom (with the lid down 
), allowing only monitored interaction with small children until she can settle in a little.

On the food, l'm glad you chose a canned diet 
, it's typically much healthier than dry. The diarrhea is likely caused by a sudden change in diet, rather than it being wet food. A slow transition from old type of food to new type will settle that down. The inappropriate peeing could be a combination of very young age (she's just a baby) and stress/fear at this major upheaval. Hopefully your vet can give you more info and advice.

Welcome to the site 
  l'd love to see pictures of the little one once she's settled in.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Six weeks is about half the age it is recommended to take a kitten from its mother.

l agree she is probably stressed, and would really benefit from being kept quiet in a small room with litter and food - like a bathroom (with the lid down 
), allowing only monitored interaction with small children until she can settle in a little.

On the food, l'm glad you chose a canned diet 
, it's typically much healthier than dry. The diarrhea is likely caused by a sudden change in diet, rather than it being wet food. A slow transition from old type of food to new type will settle that down. The inappropriate peeing could be a combination of very young age (she's just a baby) and stress/fear at this major upheaval. Hopefully your vet can give you more info and advice.

Welcome to the site 
  l'd love to see pictures of the little one once she's settled in.

Wet food and plenty of it. I agree the loose stools should form up the more accustomed she becomes to her new diet. As she is only 6 weeks old she missed out on a lot of learning from her mom and now you have to fill that gap. She should be kept very close to everything she needs, so yes, a small room of her own would be best. Once you see she has learned to use her box, you can let her start exploring the rest of the house a bit. But she'll need company while in that room often too. Definitely get her to the vet.

Last edited:

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Agree she needs to go to the vet and probably needs to be dewormed and is way too young to be away from mom. Also agree wet food or raw food is best, take a look at catinfo.org which is written by a vet on cat nutrition.