So bad I'm considering rehoming.....

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would just keep giving them a LOT of separate-rooms time, so that the older cat feels like she has control. Kittens can be really annoying to older cats; the older one can even end up sleep-deprived. (For some reason, kittens never seem to need to sleep!) I'd worry less about them getting along right now, and just keep each of them comfortable in their own space. And I wouldn't go out for the day and leave them in the same room.

I've known several cases where owners bring home a puppy or kitten and the older animal can't stand them, but then they become pals when the baby gets older and calms down.

Also what about getting a small cat cage so the kitten can be in the room with you and your husband along with Kaylee, without the kitten pouncing on her constantly. Just put a lot of toys in it. Maybe it will help them learn to be in the same room without fighting? They can play with their paws through the cage if they want to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mochapenguin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The thought had crossed my mind about getting another kitten, but I'm just not sure we would enjoy having 3 cats and the financial responsibility is a bit much with the economy right now...so I don't think that's probably an option...but it might be better than rehoming, if it comes to that. Thanks for the suggestion.

As for a cat cage, we did go out and buy a large dog kennel/cage for just that reason. Kaylee is generally pretty comfortable with this setup, but she will go over and hiss/growl at the cage from time to time. Currently we actually have the kitten sleeping in the kennel in our room at night (with food, water, bed, litter, and toys of course!) and that works out well. The kennel is set up on my husband's side of the bed and Kaylee has no problem sleeping in her usual spot on my side.

Yesterday evening they spent quite a bit of time together without too many incidents...they even seemed to do some regular old playing together (lots of chasing/stalking without much hissing), although it did eventually break down to a brawl after the older one was unexpectedly pounced on.

I think the biggest problem at the moment is that the kitten insists on trying to pounce on the Kaylee whenever she lets her guard down. I think she's finally starting to learn that if the older cat has already put the smack down on her that she should avoid contact for a few minutes. So maybe they will 'work it out' on their own over time....

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like things are improving slowly & I'm sure both kitties will learn their place in the house and the baby will learn that the older cat doesn't enjoy being pounced on all the time.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It took my girls 2 years to be able to truly cohabitate in harmony. Much of what you described is what went on in my house, except my older, resident cat was about 9 at the time the new cat came in, who was 7 mos old. We couldn't play with them in the same room, so both DH & I played with one kitty in different rooms. We had to feed them in separate rooms, and still have to supervise feeding so the younger cat won't scarf down her food as well as our older cat's food. We kept old towels laying around everywhere in our house so we could redirect the new kitty whenever things got a bit too intense for our older girl by holding the towel between the two of them, then gradually moving the towel and the kitty into a different area of the room. We figured out that the new kitty played too rough for our older kitty.

Now, they'll share sleeping space and play together well. There is still hissing and stuff, but it's more "bark" than bite. We still occasionally have to redirect our younger kitty, but all in all, it's a peaceful household. However, I won't get another kitty until our older cat passes away as it's just too stressful for her.

So, give it time, and relax as they will pick up on your stress.