So....Anyone else a huge chicken? Lol

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
nope, not a chicken! I've been living alone for over 3 years now, like Mz Kitty said, I think I'm more afraid to have someone here
I actually used to leave my door unlocked at night
but now the door won't stay closed unless it's locked so I have to lock it

I do have a dog, but he is a little 30 lb Lhasa Apso.... he does sound pretty mean and can leave a nice bite, however

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not for the most part. I don't watch scary movies for that specific reason and they would give me nightmares.

I'm an only child so I am USED to being home alone for many years. Our house was broken into about 10 years ago and because of that, if I am home alone at night, I will have a huge mag-lite flashlight or something equal so that if someone does enter I can beat the snot out of them. I do not take kindly to intruders and will do the most possible damage to them.

I get more lonely than scared unless I have a reason to.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silvionc

Oh good!! Lol I thought I was alone. I’m just happy my boyfriend totally understands since my family usually makes fun of me LOL (in a fun, nice way of course). As for weapons I don’t mean like guns or knives, more like making sure what’s around me. Like an iron, or my boyfriends weights or something. I’m just aware of what’s around me.
Two words: Louisville Slugger

A while back when I was living in Michigan the house we lived in was an older house in the country. My room was in the basement, everyone was gone for the weekend (up North) and I was home alone. I thought I heard a footstep or two upstairs, grabbed a rifle and went upstairs to investigate. No one was there, though.

I live by here by myself, have for the last 12 years. Protection is in the form of three viscous attack cats and an M1 Garand.

The only thing I'm afraid of is heights.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went through the same thing when DH went in a month ago for his sleep clinic. That was the first time I slept in our house alone without him. I live on the end of a dirt road and I always felt safe before. But without him, I was thinking over everything that could happen. It's not dangerous, as in gangs or anything (I live in rural West Virginia)....all of a sudden I started remembering scenes from Deliverance.
Imagination took over and I got VERY, ummm, nervous. Mainly because we changed the doorknobs on the doors....and DH lost the keys.
So, the door couldn't be locked because he wouldn't be able to get back in. I sleep like a rock and a tornado wouldn't wake me up!

I decided that night to not crate the dogs (we have a lab, a lab/shepard mix, a Samoyed and a pug...and honestly, the pug is the most viscious!

Well, the pups were so excited they were allowed in the bedroom I had a full house. Then the cats came in. And the dogs chased the cats out. Then the cats got together and formed a united front and attacked the dogs while they were crowding me out of bed. So, I had WW3 happening on my bed! Finally, around 3:30, I put all the dogs (except Brooke) out of the bedroom and in their crates. The cats don't mind Brooke too much because she just ignored them. But, Brooke was the biggests one so if someone DID try to come in, she would scare them more than the others.

Yeah, I didn't sleep good that night at all. So, you're not alone! (Sorry, just had to share my story!).

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Thank goodness, we have a Brinks alarm system here, so that gives us some confidence. And a good thing, too, because without it, every noise the cats make at night would terrify me!

Y'know... my father was 86 years old, and he was terribly weak for the final six years of his life. There was nothing in the world he could have done to fend off an intruder. But still, I find I'm a little more nervous at night now that he's gone.
I am the same way! When my Grandma died, I moved in to her house to care for it until probate closed and it was sold. Even though I had spent practically half my life there, some how, living there alone, without my weak, 84 year old Grandma, I was a lot jumpier at every noise I heard! I took my dogs back from my parents to make me feel safer! I also added an alarm system, though my Grandma lived there for EIGHTY years, never even CLOSING the back door (so the dog could go in and out!) without a single incident.

I guess that makes me a chicken!

Originally Posted by calico2222

Well, the pups were so excited they were allowed in the bedroom I had a full house. Then the cats came in. And the dogs chased the cats out. Then the cats got together and formed a united front and attacked the dogs while they were crowding me out of bed. So, I had WW3 happening on my bed! Finally, around 3:30, I put all the dogs (except Brooke) out of the bedroom and in their crates.

Yeah, I didn't sleep good that night at all. So, you're not alone! (Sorry, just had to share my story!).
Aw, at least that would get something much better on your mind than scary thoughts!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to be afraid of being alone at night, but I've been living alone for a while now and as it turns out I far prefer it to when I was married

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never been alone overnight, but sometimes DH has to work late and I don't like being home alone then. I turn on every light in the house until he gets back. I've gotten a little more used to it but I still do not like it.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No doesn't bother me in the least but then again I live by myself and if it did I would be in deep do-do

Plus I have Linus the great and Mighty 4lb Attack cat...

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take some self-defense classes and stop watching the news and you will feel much better.

We are raising an entire generation of fearful people. It starts with the children - parents still taking their kids to school when the child is fully responsible and old enough to walk three blocks in his neighborhood by himself!

I acknowledge that there are predators out there, and that some places are simply unsafe for a child to be alone, but we have to recognize acceptable risks because the benefits of the child's self-confidence (and the beginning of independence) are worth it.

Can you tell I feel this is important? Off my soapbox now. I hope it gets better for you!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not scared to be alone, but the pets make me feel safe because they would let me know if someone was in the yard or house.

My mom just adopted a Great Dane. He's the perfect dog! And an absolutely great watch dog. He sleeps by my mom's side of the bed and any time she moves he gets up to check on her. He also gets up and sticks right to her side when she gets up to use the bathroom or get a drink.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope. I love living alone! I hate the feeling of being dependent on someone, so I decided years ago that I am quite capable of taking care of myself and that when I'm around people it's because I want to be, not because I need them to be.

However, I do have reservations, not fear, about walking around outside after dark. I never used to be like that, but as I've aged, the times have also changed and crime rates have gone up. So it's not fear that keeps me in, it's more "common sense" that it's just not safe for a woman to be walking around after dark anymore.

One fear I do have relating to living accommadations is basements. Not all basements, just ones that have "rooms" under the stairs. Ever since I saw "Amityville Horror" back in the late 1970's basements with rooms under the stairs totally freak me out to this day. If there is no room under the stairs, I'm totally fine with going down into a basement.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im not afraid to be alone at night (I dont watch creepy movies...or the news), I have my 6 cats who go crazy if they hear anything weird (I think they learned how to growl from the dog) and a 145lb Great Dane and a little Husky. The Husky gets all excited when new people show up but her hyper bark would let me know just the same, lol.
I do dislike going outside at night alone. I just moved to a town for the first time in my life (I used to live 20 miles out of town on 40 acres) and its a tiny town with probably almost no crime rate but it still freaks me out, you never know who/what could be creeping around in the bushes. I was taking my dog out the other night and heard leaves rustling, it was probably a frog or a moth or something but I hightailed it back inside so fast I barely let my poor dog pee.