So angry! Rant!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

I would be very reluctant to call the media. They could come to your home, tape, and act all nice, then edit to make a newsclip about the crazy cat lady
You've got an excellent point there. The media can be notoriously unscrupulous like that.

Nothing further from the crazy PETA lady, so I'm just taking her comments in stride now. We have had no luck yet in our house search and I need to have a chat with the landlord sometime this week to let him know that, barring a minor miracle, we will not be moving out 2/1 like he was hoping we would do.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lived in colorado for 26 years and had enough.... Unfortunatly I love the state but not the bureaucracy.. The media can be your enemy when the situation meets their needs at the time!!!

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sam, from what I've been able to find out here, we have all the time in the world, as we have a lease good through November 06, and we are within the terms of the lease agreement. If he took us to court to evict us, we would most likely win. However, we don't want to stay if there is going to be animosity, and we told him we would start looking right away for a new place. I did warn him that chances were it would take awhile to find someplace, he just said he hoped it could be in a month. (Yeah, and I hope I win the lottery. LOL)

charcoal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's terrible. Sounds to me like the father is just using the disease as an excuse to make you leave. I would fight it in court.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just read this thread now Sue.
It's really sucks how your landlord's dad is trying to enforce a decision that has little or no evidence. Good luck finding a new place if it truly has to come to that later this year.

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cat-loving co-workers just raised a very interesting point. One of our kitties, Luthien, died of feline leukemia this past fall, only weeks after we moved here. Maybe the landlord's father thinks there's a connection between human and feline leukemia??? It's something worth bringing up to the landlord. AFAIK there is no connection. MA, any input here?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 10 Cats

One of my cat-loving co-workers just raised a very interesting point. One of our kitties, Luthien, died of feline leukemia this past fall, only weeks after we moved here. Maybe the landlord's father thinks there's a connection between human and feline leukemia??? It's something worth bringing up to the landlord. AFAIK there is no connection. MA, any input here?
That's a definite possibility, Sue. I was diagnosed with leukemia at age 10, and my "double" cousin (two months younger) with Hodgkin's lymphoma 8 months later. The first thing well-meaning relatives and family friends advised was getting rid of all pets, since we both had to undergo chemotherapy. Luckily, the doctors simply advised against any exposure to pets' excretions, or allowing them to sleep with either of us. The pets remained, and both of us are alive and kicking 38 years later, and my cousin has 3 kids. We both have always had pets.
People undergoing chemo shouldn't be exposed to pets' urine and excrement, as far as I know, and probably shouldn't be sleeping with dogs or indoor/outdoor cats, but the risk is overexaggerated.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to work as an AIDS social worker and the concern with those patients was that they might get toxo. This can be tested for and easily avoided. Toxoplasmosis poses a risk during pregnancy or any illness which makes someone immunosuppressed. If you have a cat and any of these conditions you wear a mask and gloves when handling waste and that takes care of your risk.

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of the reasons I won't, under any circumstances, support the RSPCA in this country. PETA has been pulling the strings with the RSPCA for a long time.

Last week, in our local paper, a little cat had been in an RTA. No one knows who owns this little cat (not micro-chipped) and she had extensive pelvic injuries. She is such a lovely little cat, the vetinary hospital who took her in performed emergency surgery. As there was so much treatment involved, they asked the RSPCA to help. They refused point-blank
The veterinary hospital has pledged to do all they can to help this little cat back to full healths and have been looking for donations from the public to help with the cost of her treatment.

I have reported a neighbour who doesn't look after her animals several times to the RSPCA. Each time, I'm made to feel like an interfering busy-body. The attitude I've come across from the RSPCA is totally different to what is broadcast on our TVs. On the TV, they come across as caring people putting animals first. In reality, they're arrogant, obnoxious people who's only aim is to stop people owning pets. For some time now, they've been trying to get reptiles banned as houseshold pets. Why? I keep snakes and each and every one of them is extremely well looked after. If the RSPCA (aided by PETA) got their way, would my snakes be rehomed in a Zoo or released in the wild (where they would die anyway as they are all Captive Born and Bred and wouldn't know a jungle if it reared up and hissed at them!). No, of course, not! They'd be put down - killed - murdered whatever you want to call it.

I support charities like the Cats Protection League and a local Reptile Rescue centre. RSPCA I'd never give them one, single penny.

Sorry, I've just had a bit of a rant myself, because there is so much mis-information put about by the likes of that woman from PETA.

I really hope you get things sorted out, and I too would dig my heels in - at least for the duration of your lease, then find somewhere where you and your feline family can live happily and at peace with your neighbours.

vibiana

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
THIRTY-NINE CATS????? And I thought it was a stampede when feeding time comes for my three ... LMAO

My best friend is a dog breeder. She lives in a rural area and has about 400 dogs, in four separate kennel buildings. All the buildings are heated in winter and A/Ced in summer, and include roomy runs and warm bedding for each animal. The puppies and mama dogs have a room of their own and they all eat Eukanuba. Thursday night is Hot Dog Night, when everyone gets a treat (and she uses about a case of hot dogs. lol)

She's lived out there for eight years, on five acres, she bought out the kennel owner across the street who retired when she moved in. No problem at all until the family bought the land next to hers and built a big ol' McMansion on it. They let their dogs run loose (and then complain about the noise from the kennels!) and the county is all of a sudden jumping on my friend about her use permit. She was recently diagnosed with lymphoma, so she is struggling to placate the county, the neighbors, and her oncologist before she goes completely out of her mind. LOL

I can't understand why people don't go after the genuine hoarders and the breeders who have cages piled on top of each other, instead of after people who conscientiously care for each of the creatures in their charge. You have my sympathy, as well as my admiration.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry what you are going through. However, this is what happens when these AR (Animal Rights) nut jobs get involved. I have stated this many times in the past, because I own exoics. These people will not stop until we put an end to their stupid actions. PETA would like nothing more than to see your 39 cats destroyed instead of being in a loving home. They, the AR people, are the ones who pressure our law makers to push for such stupid, useless, and waste of tax money laws. Land of the free? Not any more. We lost many of our rights long ago and it makes me sick. We should be able to own the animals of our choice and as many as we want, as long as they have the proper care and you are responsible. Yes, 39 cats is beyond what many people can properly care for. But, if the cats are healthy, happy and well cared for, I see nothing wrong with it. I wish you luck and tell PETA to go pound salt.

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone, for all your words of support. How I wish one of you owned a house in Boulder or Longmont, CO and were willing to rent it to me!!

Still nothing but "no" responses to all the housing available ads I've inquired after, and only one reponse to my housing wanted ad, which unfortunately is in a town that has a 4 cat per house limit, so it's not do-able for us. We're suddenly a little more eager to move down into town from the mountains, as a large grass fire started about 25 miles away last night. There has been no rain here for months, and everything is dry. As remote as we are (about 5 miles from fire station) it could be a disaster in the event of fire.

John, I agree with you that we've been losing rights for years. Since we have lynx, bobcat and cougar wild here, I looked into the laws about exotics in the event we ever found an orphaned kit, and we would not be allowed by law to take it in. I guess the lawmakers would rather see an orphaned wild kitten die than be cared for.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking the landlord is scared and uninformed and doesn't know what to do.
I think inviting him over would to see the cats wouldn't be a good thing.
Can you get ahold of the landlord/tenant laws in CO??? But I would agree if you have a lease-what can he do. I'm not sure how much you like this place but could you have a land contract to buy the place from him??? I'm just thinking ahead to the time he passes away and the property get tied up in court.
I applaud your effort on all the cats I nver realized how many you had.
I have 13 at my peak-most where kittens though and that was lots of furry feet around the house!!

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
John, I agree with you that we've been losing rights for years. Since we have lynx, bobcat and cougar wild here, I looked into the laws about exotics in the event we ever found an orphaned kit, and we would not be allowed by law to take it in. I guess the lawmakers would rather see an orphaned wild kitten die than be cared for.
This is true in most areas, even where I live. Since bobcats are native here, I need a license from the state to own the bobcats and also have a copy of the USDA license from the breeder, to prove that the animal was not taken out of the wild. However, to rescue wildlife, you would need to get a rehabilitators license from your state. I do agree with this, you do not want just anyone picking up an orphaned bobcat and lynx kitten or cougar cub and try to care for it. Since these animals were born in the wild, you would need to know what you are doing. All of my exotics have been born and raised in captivity by breeders, with constant human contact. Many times, people will see one of these cubs or kittens out wandering alone, thinking it was orphaned. Most of the time, they are not. The mother may be out hunting and had the kittens or cub out with her, to teach them their hunting skills. A licensed rehabilitator would know how to care for the animal, so that it could be released back into the wild. However these cats, when born and rasied in captivity and cared for responsibly, make wonderful companions and should not be banned from ownership. I do believe in fair regulations however. Good fair regulations help promote responsible ownership and protect the welfare of the animal and the safety of the public. An example of fair regulations would be something like this: Lets say you wanted to own a cougar. Fair regulations would require you to have proof that you have had 2 years experience working with cougars or experience working with some of the smaller exotics for 2 years. It would require you to have the proper secure enclosure, with a double door entry system and a perimeter fence around the enclosure. And you would need to have a vet that is able and willing to care for your animal.( I have all of these that I listed here ) I also believe that anyone with a history of felonious criminal activty, should not be able to own an exotic. They are not responsible in society, so they would not be responsible with an exotic cat. Leaving a cougar tied up in your back yard on a leash, like a dog, would NOT be the responsible thing to do either. These regulations make sense, however our law makers are too lazy to make such rules. To do a blanket ban is so much easier for them. Bans are more costly for tax payers to enforce. With regulations, the cost could be passed on to the animal owner with licensing fees, as long as it wasn't rediculous.

dragonlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the toxiplasmosis is what the man is afraid of, not the litter it's self. Maybe find out who his doctor is and get him to talk to his patient? If the doctor is knowlegable he should be able toease the fears of thim man.

If your cats are not eating wild life then they have a very low risk of catching this disease, let alone shedding it's spoors in their waste.

Send articles about how it is transmitted and what cats are likely to carry the disease. I would say test all the cats, but that is a huge amount of $$$ with all the tests you would need.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know where you have to drive to get to work, You may have to relocate in Colorado anywhere where its still desolate. There might be a home on land where you don't have neighbors for miles. I lived in Colorado for 26 years and moved to Nebraska 3 years ago. Boulder is a really nice place but if I remember they dictate alot of stupid things there. You may have to widen your possiblities to a small town, and comprimise your drive to work. I wish I had a house in colorado to rent to you. You can move to nebraska!! LOL They have cheap houses for rent here and nobody really says anything about the amount of animals you have. Where I live we don't even have a shelter for the animals who need one. When a dog runs lose they take it to the local vet and people have to pick it up there.

You wouldn't believe how cheap the rent here is for a 3 bedroom house!! Some are anywhere from 300.00-500.00 month. There are houses here for sale for 30,000-up. I know in Colorado the housing expenses are terrible!!!! Thats why I moved here.

I have a friend who is a vet in colorado and they lived in aurora. There is a 3 cat pet law, well they probably match your numbers in cats, I asked them once if the law can dictate they remove anymore than 3 cats from their residence(which I find appauling that a city can dictate what goes on inside the walls of your own home) She told me that they had to apply for a licence and they have to pay the city revenue for each cat over 3...... Thats just because they got caught because the neighbors complained...They own their house and a city can dictate the numbers of animals within your dwelling...grrr

Thats why I like the country!!! No more stupid laws!!