So - air swatting between two cats -- Play?

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My two cats are really getting along well, with very rare hissing incidents. Every now and then we catch them playing together for a few seconds or even a couple of minutes on one or two occasions, which is pretty good for two middle-aged cats who met 5 months ago. We have a peacful house with no agression so far.

However, the new behaviour is air swatting, where they swat at each other without connecting. There's never any hissing, and the little guy always back down because my Willow is big and also the dominant cat.

Is the swatting a kind of play? Or is it aggression? We've seen both cats take the first swat, so it isn't one cat starting it all the time.They never fight -- never have. It's just that it's a new behaviour and i'm curious to see if it's another sign that they could end up friends.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one cat that plays when she wants to play so she always has to be the one to start it. If my other cat chases her she gets mad so I think one is doing it for fun,the other isn't or its a defensive move against my angry cat. I guess if your cats get along it may be for fun or at first they liked it and one doesn't want to play any more. Wish we could ask the cats

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is probably play, or just a small tiff, which is perfectly normal. It certainly is not aggression or a fight. Cats can get very physical with their conversations, as well. It isn't real aggression or a real cat fight unless there is blood and/or pee on the floor, and fur in the air.