Snowflake won't stay in a quiet area, but she seems irritated to be around people.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittymumma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This one was number three in the litter and was born with an open wound on her back and paralized back leg.... :(

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get the one with the injury to the vet asap?

Last edited:

kittymumma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had the vet come and do a home visit, he has put some mild antiseptic on it and because it is nursing ok has decided to see how the poor little thing goes overnight... It isnt in pain, meows when looking for a nipple and stop right away as soon as it is lached on.. It doesn't seem bothered by the other kittens crawling all over it at all.. I'm taking them all into the vet in the morning for a proper check up and a follow up for the little one :( :( so sad.. :( I think it was because this was the only one she didn't stand up to have... It kind of came along as a surprise all of a sudden, she didn't even meow...

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the vet come and do a home visit, he has put some mild antiseptic on it and because it is nursing ok has decided to see how the poor little thing goes overnight... It isnt in pain, meows when looking for a nipple and stop right away as soon as it is lached on.. It doesn't seem bothered by the other kittens crawling all over it at all.. I'm taking them all into the vet in the morning for a proper check up and a follow up for the little one
so sad..
I think it was because this was the only one she didn't stand up to have... It kind of came along as a surprise all of a sudden, she didn't even meow...
They don't need to go the vet tomorrow if all is well.  It's actually a large risk since the kittens have no immune system.  Kittens go in for a vet check up when they get their first shots at 8 weeks unless there is an issue.

kittymumma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He asked me if I could bring them in tomorrow more for the little ones sake and said they would travel better as a group.. I thought the same thing, why would they need a check so soon? I might just call him in the morning and let him know how the bubby is going, hopefully he will be content with that and not make me disturb them. This vet is not my usual (he moved town :'() so it may take a while to get a good relationship with him.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He asked me if I could bring them in tomorrow more for the little ones sake and said they would travel better as a group.. I thought the same thing, why would they need a check so soon? I might just call him in the morning and let him know how the bubby is going, hopefully he will be content with that and not make me disturb them. This vet is not my usual (he moved town :'() so it may take a while to get a good relationship with him.
Can he not come back to your house?  I really wouldn't bring the whole gang.

kittymumma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can he not come back to your house?  I really wouldn't bring the whole gang.
He could but his home visits cost twice as much as going to him and he only does them after hours... I will speak with him over the phone in the morning and see if I can work a deal with him. He did speak briefly about putting it to sleep but he thinks it will be OK and live a perfectly normal life if it survives this first weeks or so. It will have that one leg amputated in the future if it survives...

kittymumma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK, here is the update from today. Mumma and four bubs are doing great. I rang the day vet here in my town and he said the injured kitten won't live anyway so don't let it feed.... I thought that was such a disgusting thing to say to me so I rang the next town over and made an appointment. I took the beautiful little boy in and yes indeed he had spina bifida which was passed down genetically by the kittens Manx breed father. It's quality of life was never going to be great so we decided it was in his best interests to have him euthanised.... R.I.P little guy. The lady vet who helped me through this was just as devastated as I was because he was so strong. She said she is glad I let him feed because at least for the few hours he was alive he had comfort and love from his mumma and siblings :'( :'( he was so beautiful. Now I have to brake the news to my children when they get home from school :'(

Last edited:

kittymumma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kittens are booked in at four weeks for the first needle, and then four weeks later. Mumma will be spayed 1 month after the kittens have weaned to let the uterus settle and all her glands to go back to normal before the operation. I have also been told to worm the kittens but she said she wasn't sure if I should do it every two weeks or four weeks until they are twelve weeks old because it's been a while since she has dealt with kittens but she does puppies every two weeks... Any advice with the worming times?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kittens are booked in at four weeks for the first needle, and then four weeks later. Mumma will be spayed 1 month after the kittens have weaned to let the uterus settle and all her glands to go back to normal before the operation. I have also been told to worm the kittens but she said she wasn't sure if I should do it every two weeks or four weeks until they are twelve weeks old because it's been a while since she has dealt with kittens but she does puppies every two weeks... Any advice with the worming times?
I'm so sorry that you lost the little guy.  You absolutely did the right thing.

Kittens are not vaccinated until 8 weeks.  Mom can also be spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old.

For worming, you should only need to do the treatment every two weeks, two or three times.  Your vet should do some research before you take them in again...

kittymumma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry that you lost the little guy.  You absolutely did the right thing.

Kittens are not vaccinated until 8 weeks.  Mom can also be spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old.

For worming, you should only need to do the treatment every two weeks, two or three times.  Your vet should do some research before you take them in again...
I cannot seem to win with any of these vets. She said the needles could be done between four and six weeks and again four weeks later, and her personal preference was to wait until mumma stopped lactating completely before she can be spayed.. She also said the kittens can be weaned at six weeks which I thought might be a bit early, but I figure mumma will know when it's time anyway. I won't be calling the after hours guy ever again because he had no idea what he was looking at. I did research within mins of the kitten being born and found pictures of similar injuries which lead me to spina bifida... I suspected from the start but I thought I would leave it to the experts to tell me. What a waste of money that was... Anyway I think I might have to keep trying different vets until I find one that actually knows what they are doing...

kittymumma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

These are the four that are left, mumma is up having a feed :) she has eaten quite alot since the birth but I don't blame her one bit

kittymumma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to bother you guys, but I have another question.. The little white one always chooses a nipple on the bottom regardless of which way mumma is laying. The problem is it sort of lays on its side to drink and I have read they should be on all fours or prone position to feed... Do you think this is an issue?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Bottom nipples are the best producers of mom's milk, and easy to reach! As long as the kitten is gaining weight and thriving, there is nothing to worry about! [emoji]128522[/emoji]