Snowflake doesn't know she's only a baby

sophielew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Snowflake is now 4 months old and she keeps attacking her 4 yr old "grandmother" and her 16 month old "Aunt"!

She sneaks and attacks, then "gives up" when the Adults knock her down and pin her to the ground! How long will this continue! She was spayed a week ago and she only slowed down for one day! We're afraid she will get hurt! She's deaf so we can say NO all we want and she doesn't stop!

She's only four lbs. and the big girls are 9 and 10 lbs!
Isn't she cute though!

[/url]
June 15,2011 015 by sophielew, on Flickr/

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
blonde with blue eyes...
she's adorable!!! I had a white fluffy cat, his eyes were yellow though and he was not deaf, but oh so pretty!

I'd suggest Feliway. It worked for me. Here's a review I recently posted on amazon.com after buying a 6 set refill.

Purchased the plug-in about 3 weeks ago, put in a refill today... what a difference these 3 weeks have been.

I have 2 young cats, 9 months old, siblings. My boy, who's 5lb bigger than the girl, has been very rough with her. They're extremely close, but at the same time he's alpha and will bully her around, to a point to some hissing and growling from her. She hides a lot. With feliway, it never gets to that point... he's been so much more gentle. Before he used to attack her if she was in his favorite napping spot, now he gently comes over and starts licking her... she leaves anyway, but at least it's not a scuffle.

Overall, they're so much more laid back. My girl is very shy, she'd never lay down on the floor, middle of the room, sprawled out. It was always a sitting position, ears back, looking for 'attackers'.. what?!? Now, she's so relaxed, she lays down right in the path of my feet, just relaxing, feet extended, what a wonderful sight, just like her brother!

I have a 1,100sq foot 1-bed apartment, and I only have one feliway plug in. I tried a few spots, but one worked better than any of them. I tried next to their cat trees.. that was OK. Near litter boxes... nope, didn't work. Best place was in the hallway between the bedroom and the living room. Cats pass there all the time, and seem to get a whiff every few hours as they move in the house... just enough to keep them calm.

In my house, 3 week seems to be an average for one refill.

milu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is super cute
great shot!

I hope this type of behavior is normal, because that's exactly what's happening at my house. I asked my vet about it the other day during our visit for vaccinations and he confirmed that this is 'normal play' for them as long as the older ones let go once the little one cries out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sophielew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll try the Feliway! The baby is actually "Odd Eyed" One Blue and one green! The deafness may be attributed ot the "Blue eyed issue!

The baby just keeps attacking! Even when the big cats pin her down, she won't quit and keeps coming back! Eventually the Big cats just go to another room to get away from her! The white cat loves her and always wants to be near her till she starts attacking again!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It may be that she can't hear the sounds the adult cat is making to warn her that she's gone far enough.

Deaf cats can be a real challenge. We have a couple of members here with cats that are deaf.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a pretty kitty.

These two attacked and chased each other NON-STOP when they were 4 months old, so IMO its totally natural. Its just that the energy level of the spazzy young kitten isn't jiving with the senior cats that prefer to chillax.

All I can recommend is to wear her out with play.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sophielew

Snowflake is now 4 months old and she keeps attacking her 4 yr old "grandmother" and her 16 month old "Aunt"!

She sneaks and attacks, then "gives up" when the Adults knock her down and pin her to the ground! How long will this continue! She was spayed a week ago and she only slowed down for one day! We're afraid she will get hurt! She's deaf so we can say NO all we want and she doesn't stop!

She's only four lbs. and the big girls are 9 and 10 lbs!
Isn't she cute though!
OMG she is just too cute
How adorable she is. I was really worried about 'Bitz when I first brought her home. She was/is tiny. She's 2 now and barely weighs in at 5 pounds. Her older brother and sister were/are much bigger. I put 'Bitz in a safe room for exactly... 1 day. That is all she would stand it for. She had to be out in the world with the big kids
She wore everyone out
I think at 4 months your baby is behaving normally. I monitored 'Bitz play time with the older adults for awhile and kept the proverbial squirt bottle on hand lest someone's temper got flared but it never did happen. I know a lot more about dealing with deaf dogs than cats. You can Google training deaf cat which I did and there are a lot of sites out there like this one http://www.catsplay.com/thedailycat/...tion_deaf.html
As I scrolled down I was particularly interested in the training the deaf cat with a flashlight.

She is a doll baby and I know you will give her a great home with lots of love.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sophielew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I'll check out the site! By the way the squirt bottle has worked with all the cats we've ever had! Primarily to keep them off counter tops etc. However, baby Snowflake could care less about the spray bottle! She just ignores it! It could also be that she doesn'
t hear the sound of the spray, just getting a bit wet with the water! If she could she would also get into the shower! Again, I don't believe she hears the sound of the water!
Snowflake, Heidi and Sunshine during a calm moment!
[/url]
Baby Snowflake, Heidi, Sunshine of My Life by sophielew, on Flickr/