Snow!

moxymom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just drove home from my mom's and in an hours time hit a thunderstorm, fog as thick as pea soup and then a blizzard
Last week it was 30 degrees (86 F) and now it's snowing...this stinks LOL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Power went out last night at around 8PM, it is now 6PM - still no power.
I did charge my laptop in the car today when we were pricing natural gas power generator. Estime is $4,000 - ack! We really do need to get it though - hubby dosen't handle power outages well (he is definately not a Renasaince man!) and I am getting tired of it - plus having 11 tropical parrots that need to be kept warm. We don't even have a land line phone - it went out at around 9 AM this morning.

caterpillar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lisalee, I'll give you all 18 inches of snow from here!

I shouldn't laugh, as this has been the worst winter (er, spring) storm that I have ever experienced! All up and down the street, either large tree branches are down (at least two from every tree) or the entire tree. About a mile away, a tree cracked and crashed on top of a ranch house and hubby told me about a guy from work whose tree fell on top of his neighbor's boat.

Looking out and seeing over a foot of snow amid blooming, flowering trees is so surreal! And I'm fortunate that I haven't lost a single tree, although some were bent right to the ground, like my pink dogwood. All have sprung back up to life and are still in flower. Mooie (Main Coon or Norwegian forest cat that he is) doesn't mind the snow, but he's definitely afraid of snow flying while melting off branches.

Now it's the big meltdown with muddy, muddy swamp-land.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah...I am back to the civilized world!!! Lets see, we had no lights, no phone and no water. I have to get used to it though, that is the norm when you live out here. Anyway, we got up to 2 feet of snow!!! Our back yard looks like a tornado went though it. My wife could not go to work. All the streets out of here were blocked by downed trees and limbs. I was able to go to work later in the morning, they were able to get one dirt road open
My wife's car came within just a few feet of being hit by a HUGE tree limb. We were out there cleaning the snow off the cars when we heard this loud CRACK!! We took off running, I thought the whole tree was falling. Oh well, April snow is the norm in Northeast Ohio. Talon, as for the genrator, you do not need to spend that much money..I need to get one too. A 5,500 watt generator should do the trick to power your furnace, refrigerator, some lights, sump pump and the TV. Price for those, $600-$700 depending on the store and make or model. However, I did see a whole house generator that is powered by natural gas or propane for approx $2,600. I think it was 15,000 watts which is more than plenty. This house is already set up for a generator. It has outlets on the walls that will be powered when a genrator is hooked up. I just need to go buy one now, especially after talking with my neighbor last night. He said, "oh this is normal around here. Last year, we were without power for 2 weeks once"
Time for me to go generator shopping.

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the whole house ones were around 2600 to 3000 (depending on the 8, 10 or 12 circuit model - it ws the installation that brought it up that much!

Phones came back this morning, power is still out. Now they are saying by midnight tonight (Tuesday) - yeah.... this after they told us 6 PM Monday, then 6 PM Tuesday and now midnight.... I want running water! I want heat!

We have a guy scheduled to come out and look at what it would take to install one of those whole house generators - the small ones would work, but hubby and I are not good with electricity.

Out for some breakfast (yes I am breaking my diet) and to Lowes for some more wood... can't let the birdies freeze.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This has been one heck of a "dogwood winter", hasn't it!

Mom says we still have dewberry and blackberry winter to get through.

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have power!!!
I never would make it if I was ever transported back in time 100 years.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Talon

I have power!!!
I never would make it if I was ever transported back in time 100 years.
YEA!!! I never would have either Tracey......

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, it's May 3rd and you know what it did last night?? It snowed again!!! Well, it did not accumulate this time, but it sure did snow. I heard something hitting the window. I looked outside and it was coming down like crazy. Well, I think spring may finally get here later this week, just in time for my vacation!!! I hope so, my yard is a disaster from all the tree limbs that came down from last Sunday and Monday when up to 2 feet of snow fell. I can not even walk back there because the ground is so soft from all the melted snow and rain.

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, I saw sleet bouncing down the sidewalks - co workers said they saw big flakes. The weatherman said flurries again today.

STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Talon

Yep, I saw sleet bouncing down the sidewalks - co workers said they saw big flakes. The weatherman said flurries again today.

STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT.
That's right Tracey, lets all chant!!!

STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT!!!!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've been 20 - 30 degrees cooler than normal down here.

I want to wear my flip flops!

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well,living in Geauga County I should be used to the snow by now. But, Cedar Point will be open in 4 days and that mean ROLLER COASTER season is here
That is of course, if the bobcats allow me to go

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is my first season in Geauga..... hopefully the next ones won't be so white.
Geauga lake opens in a few days too.