Snow Day!!

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We all have a snow day here. I was lucky that one of my co-workers switched me days so I didn't have to drive in today. The snow drift on my porch is up to my knees

Visibility last night coming home was horrid. Not only did we have snow squalls, we had wind gusts that blew snow in front of me. I could see perhaps three car lengths ahead of me. I have a rather medium incline hill that is long to get to my house and I almost didn't make it up it last night. There is ice under the snow and I could not get traction. To top it off, someone skidded off the road coming towards me into the berm and I had to stop mid-way up.

There has only been one other time that I was worried about driving and that was during an ice storm. Yesterday all the county offices closed and a level 2 snow emergency was declared but for some reason, the bank had to stay open. A level three means if you are on the roads you can be arrested or fined.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
it's been crazy around here! Yesterday coming in was awful but luckily going home was not as bad and today coming in was treacherous, especially since my windshield washer fluid ran out

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yet another snow day here, this makes #4 in the last week

We had an appt today, started in and ended up turning around. Roads are snow covered, major highways are closed, its snowing with nice wind gusts, snow squall warnings, windchill advisories, etc. etc.

I wish I had a snowmobile

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We didn't get nearly as much snow in Columbus as many other places but it is so cold. I hate starting with the bulky coat, hat, gloves, and scarve as well as cleaning off the car.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was so mad, I finally got the snow I wanted. There was a good amount of flurries outside when I got up this morning. I've been waiting to see Luna and Midnight's reaction to snow. Of course the flurries hit when I've got a doctors appointment, and I've got to go. I thought I'd see their reaction when I got home, but by the time I got home, the sun was out, and no more flurries, so I didn't get to see their reaction this time.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Today was a mess around here...yesterday was even worse just a bit to the west. They've declared a state of emergency in a couple areas and had to call in the military to rescue people who had been stuck on a closed highway for over 24 hours (I was once stuck on a highway for 4 hours and that was horrible...I can't imagine doing it for over a day!).

After our 3 snow days last week, I think the bus companies and school boards are reluctant to cancel sevices. We had sunny skies when I went to work this morning. By 11am, people were picking their kids up from school early because the roads were so bad.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just watched video of the rescue work going on for the hundreds stranded on the closed highways up your way Zoeysmom and Chris!

STAY SAFE EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Just watched video of the rescue work going on for the hundreds stranded on the closed highways up your way Zoeysmom and Chris!

STAY SAFE EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We have bout 50 stranded ppl staying in a church here cuz the motels are full. The major highway is still closed, with the snow not letting up till tomorrow afternoon

It was nice to see though, things like this bring out the best in ppl. A couple from the US were in line in front of me at walmart, talking about their "nice" trip (*sarcasm on nice b/c they are stranded here from our snow*) and all the wonderful ppl they have met.

Kinda restores my faith in mankind, momentarily anyways.

Stay safe, stay warm and don't be dumb. ( so many idiots out there driving like its summer through 4ft drifts across the roads
)

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Memphis is forecasted to have a potentially nasty ice storm tomorrow....guess I better make a trip to the store and stock up on a few essentials tonight
I REALLY don't feel like getting groceries, but I'm out of everything and the last time we had an ice storm, i wound up shut in my apartment eating dry cereal for several days because the roads were too crappy to get to the store and I had no power
We never really get much snow, but ice seems to always pay a visit and nobody around here seems to know how to deal with it...same thing happens almost every year
The city pretty much "shuts down" when the weather is bad enough. As sure as I don't got to the store, we'll have a nasty storm...if I go, we probably won't get anything....Murphy's Law

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Snow Day #6 since last Tues. BLEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Oh, and ice is the only thing that scares me for driving. Snow I can handle no prob.... ice, well, even with 4w drive, it can be trecherous. Bleh. That was part of the prob yesterday (I think it was yesterday, I'm not sure, too many snow days), mild temps the day before, then a substantial drop so everything froze, plus the snow on top, and wind.

I tell ya, I would LOVE a snowmobile right now

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our snow and ice have nearly gone we had two weeks of snow and then this week its nearly finished melting but they say its coming back with avengence in Thursday and last till after Christmas, all the betting shops have stopped talking bets on us having a white Christmas lol