SNOW brrrrrrrrr BENGAL

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bengalbabe

The most popular silver lines come from American Shorthairs =0)
Egyptian Maus have too much ticking, it is part of the Egyption Mau breed standard and it's the opposite of what we want in our Bengal lines. We want as little ticking as possible.
True silver is a dominant gene however unless the silver parent is homozygous for silver there's only a 50-50 chance that the kittens of a silver and non silver parent will be silver since browns can't throw silvers (or the inhibitor gene since silver is not technically a color, it is the lack of color). Unless the silver parent is homozygous for silver and you breed it to a brown-if that's the case the silver parent will always pass the dominant 'I" gene and even though the kittens will all have the non silver gene (i) and the silver gene (I)because silver is dominant all the resulting kittens will look silver but be carrying for brown and silver.
You can reduce tarnishing if you breed the silver to another silver or if your breeding brown to silver use a brown that has as little roufesing as possible (like to a charcoal colored brown).
Ahh that makes sense. I figured it was dominant from what I had seen but hadn't read up on the actual gene, I guess hse was lucky to throw all silvers then. That would make sense about the ticking too because Hope has quite a bit of ticking. I was just looking it up and it even looks like the Egyptian Mau she's related to was a black smoke.

It looks like the closest snows in Meeka's pedigree are 4 and 5 generations back (Seal Lynx Points). Kind of lowers the chance of her inheriting the gene. I probably won't get snows in my litters, to bad they are gorgeous!

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals

Ahh that makes sense. I figured it was dominant from what I had seen but hadn't read up on the actual gene, I guess hse was lucky to throw all silvers then. That would make sense about the ticking too because Hope has quite a bit of ticking. I was just looking it up and it even looks like the Egyptian Mau she's related to was a black smoke.
If he was throwing all silvers he is homozygous silver and all of his offspring will be silver regardless of what color he is bred with.
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals

It looks like the closest snows in Meeka's pedigree are 4 and 5 generations back (Seal Lynx Points). Kind of lowers the chance of her inheriting the gene. I probably won't get snows in my litters, to bad they are gorgeous!
You never know. Those recessives can be carried for many generations and never pop up. Best way to find out if she is carrying for snow is to breed her with a snow. If she's carrying it's likely she'll have some snows in a litter of four. If she carries and is bred to a snow the chances of her having snows in a litter of four is : 2 snows and two browns that carry for snow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank-you! Believe it or not, Hawaii does get snow storms. They are however, almost always limited to the tops of the volcano's above 10,000 feet.

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Thank-you! Believe it or not, Hawaii does get snow storms. They are however, almost always limited to the tops of the volcano's above 10,000 feet.
Wow I didn't know that. I didn't realize hawaii had such high mountains!

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Hehe that makes it a little harder to see except from a distance. How long have you been in NC? I loooove the winters in NC. They are so short. I'm from NH and the winters there are neverending. I just wasn't cut out for it in the long run. I also like the fact that when we get snow it goes away in a couple days. After a week in NH the snow becomes dirty and very not pretty until the next snow storm. Oooh how I love the weather here. My fiance was born in the Phillipines and he dosen't like NC weather as much as I do

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bengalbabe

You never know. Those recessives can be carried for many generations and never pop up. Best way to find out if she is carrying for snow is to breed her with a snow. If she's carrying it's likely she'll have some snows in a litter of four. If she carries and is bred to a snow the chances of her having snows in a litter of four is : 2 snows and two browns that carry for snow.
I really do want to breed her to a snow eventually. For now I'm obligated to use my breeders studs since technically we "co-own" the breeding rights. Then I owe her a kitten and then I can go out for stud with her. She isn't as fond of snows so dosen't have a program for them, instead she concentrates a lot on silvers. So her first breeding will be a brown-spotted.

Then theres a problem of small litters. I understand the genetic percentages and with her likely to have a small litter it will be hard to tell if she carries. Her litters will be 1-4, where 2 I would suspect will be the most likely. Still...theres a good chance I would know in the first litter... Someday down the road. Of course then I actually have to find a snow stud for service. Not to worry about that for now as I have guaranteed services through my breeder.