Snorting

namo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Draco, my tom, will snort at something if he's upset at it. He'll just glare and then blow air out of his nose. Has anyone else experienced this or am I just lucky and have a weird cat?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Namo

Draco, my tom, will snort at something if he's upset at it. He'll just glare and then blow air out of his nose. Has anyone else experienced this or am I just lucky and have a weird cat?
You could just be lucky. My cat made a noise I had never heard him make before this morning, while brushing him. I was not worried about it though, seems as though cats make a lot of different noises just like humans.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

namo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's something he's done ever since he was a kitten, but he's the only cat I've seen who does that. Kinda funny to see a cat glare at you then snort.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jaffa has a hissy snort - a sort of combination of a hiss and a snort! He reserves it's use for Mosi when he's being particularly obnoxious or me when I'm trying to move him away from the computer screen. It's a sort of hiss with extra derision.

namo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lol. That's pretty cute that he does it when you move him away from the computer screen. He must be a computer junkie.

cindercat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my gosh, I thought my cat was the only one that makes these weird noises. She is 3 years old and I've added 2 kittens to my family. I've had them for 2 months now. She sort of plays with them, then makes the weird snort & nose air blowing. I think she gets a little annoyed with the kittens. She just walks away. She's not doing it as much anymore. I hoping this means she is getting used to the kittens. Your cat isn't weird, they all are. haha

namo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lol, I thought mine was the only one too, until I posted this. It's like on those animated movies with dogs or whatever who will snort when they're upset at something.. I always thought it was just something they put in the movie to show the animal was upset, but no, they really do that.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ferris snorts when he's eating, because his face is buried in his wet food and he gobbles without stopping to breathe, so he winds up getting food up his nose and snorts it out, never stopping his gobbling the entire time.

I find it quite funny.
He's my little piglet.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh wow, I thought Gracie was the only one too until I just caught this thread. She makes this seriously scary, but cute, snorting, hissing sound when Pete and Claire get on her nerves. It sounds so funny coming out of her because she's normally such a ladylike little cat.

namo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wildflower79

Oh yes gizmo does that too. He usally does it when he's playing or when he's about to pounce on something.
Nice. Draco will 'chitter' when he's hunting his toys.

namo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

Oh wow, I thought Gracie was the only one too until I just caught this thread. She makes this seriously scary, but cute, snorting, hissing sound when Pete and Claire get on her nerves. It sounds so funny coming out of her because she's normally such a ladylike little cat.
Lol ^_^

wout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our guys snort a lot as well, especially Orion. He tends to do it while he's sniffing around at stuff. Kinda funny, some small drags of air going in and then a puff outwards

Sometimes I think he sniffs dust as well.. then he snorts a couple of times and then sneezes.. cuteness

cbenwell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 2 year old female hairless cat and she too snorts when she gets mad.  She will expel air out of her nose, usually puts her ears back slightly and is often getting ready to bite, not hard, but she is definitely totally ticked off when she starts this snorting.  She is my first cat so I do not know how many cats actually do this.