Snorting cat

Janief

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I posted in here a few months ago. My 10 yr old kitty has a runny nose and is still snoring breathing thru her mouth. She’s eating and drinking. I’ve taken her to my vet 3 times and a new vet once. The first one gave her an antibiotic that worked for 2 weeks and then the snorting can back. Does anyone have any suggestions???

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
What did the vets say the issue was?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Echoing mani mani 's question. If this related to a herpes flare up, the antibiotics will only help if/when she gets a secondary infection from the flare up itself. However, since herpes is viral related, a anti-viral regimen should be developed and administered to help reduce flare ups. I suppose it is possible that it could be allergy related, but not sure why antibiotics would improve her condition while she on them. Has the vet done any testing to determine the proper antibiotic to use? I could be that the ones being used are not effective in totally eradicating the infection.

If the snorting is from congestion, you can run hot water in a bathroom to produce steam and then sit with her in there with the door closed for 5-10 minutes to help clear some of the congestion.

Bottom line is to ask the vet what can be done to try to determine the cause of the congestion/snorting so that, if possible, she doesn't have to continually be on antibiotics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Janief

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I posted in here a few months ago. My 10 yr old kitty has a runny nose and is still snoring breathing thru her mouth. She’s eating and drinking. I’ve taken her to my vet 3 times and a new vet once. The first one gave her an antibiotic that worked for 2 weeks and then the snorting can back. Does anyone have any suggestions???
They didn’t say what it could be from. Possibly the herpes virus.
thank you for the advise I will try the steam.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Janief

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They didn’t say what it could be from. Possibly the herpes virus.
thank you for the advise I will try the steam.
They have me a whole medical plan that’ll cost me $1290. With xrays of her sinuses medicine etc. we’re going to start with another antibiotic and see if that works.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the vet truly thinks it is from herpes, an anti-viral med would probably be something to consider. The antibiotics are for treating any secondary infection brought on by a herpes flare up, but doesn't help with the herpes itself.