Snipper, Odie, Tommy, Curious, Fluffy, Gypsy, Gavin...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
...and there may be more to come.

Our humane society is small and frequently overfilled with cats. The one cat room has become 3, plus the quarantine room. We have had several surrenders of mothers & their kits.

Snipper was euthanized for reasons that I strongly disagree with. He was on a 30 day quarantine because he got in the same room with some cats that turned out to be FeLV +. His quarantine would have been up today. He was becoming aggressive, but not to me. He gave me kisses all the time.
He was diagnosed with ringworm on Monday, and it was decided that on Tuesday he needed to be euthanized. Had I known that, I would have made accomodations for him to stay at my house & be quarantined here while he was treated. I would have made something work....I loved that guy...and he loved me. Never once did he harm me, not even when he was first surrendered & bit his owner. He was surrendered January 21, 2006. He was euthanized May 30th, 2006.

Odie is the first cat I had to take to the vet to be euthanized. I had to pick her up out of her cage at the HS, put her in a carrier, drive her to the vet, & leave her. Odie was euthanized at 10:23a.m. today, June 2, 2006. She was pooping liquid, bright yellow, w/ blood in it. She was vomiting & had not eaten in 2 days. Her kittens were Tommy, Curious, & Fluffy. I felt bad that I couldn't even stay with her. She was wet all over because she was incapable of lifting her body any more. I just couldn't see her like that.

Tommy died Saturday May 27th around 3pm. He died of distemper. He was 8 weeks old. Curious, his sister, died Tuesday morning. Fluffy, who was adopted before any of his siblings/mother died, passed away last night. He never showed any symptoms until right before he passed.

Gypsy was lethargic, wouldn't eat, had liquid stools, & was vomiting yellow. She died Wednesday night.

Gavin was euthanized at the vet's office. He was 8 weeks old. His three siblings are in quarantine at the vet's office. It is likely that they, too, will die.

Odie, Tommy, Curious, Fluffy, Gypsy, & Gavin all died of distemper. They received their first vaccination for distemper, but it was too soon for them to receive their second.

Gavin's three siblings; Ghandi, Gretta, & I cannot remember the third one's name, will most likely join their brother.
I noticed an adult cat, Patsy,was vomiting today, but at least was acting normal(she was playing poop hockey...as usual). We'll see how she is over the weekend. There are two other litters of kittens that may have been in contact with these others. It is highly unlikely that they were....but....there is still that chance. One litter had bloody stools this evening(I called to check on Patsy & was told this). The other litter has survived so much, I cannot see them succumbing to distemper.

Sorry if this is so long. I am just devastated about this. Gypsy already had a family waiting for her, she looked like Ragdoll & was so very sweet. Fluffy was adopted & living in a home. We notified his adopters right away, but he never showed any symptoms until right before he died. I just hate it when these guys are only a few months old, and the mothers, just spending months feeding kittens & carrying them, only to die because their owners didn't get them vaccinated.

Sometimes I wonder why I keep volunteering & then I remember that someone has to love these poor kitties...if no one loves them & cares for them, then they just die alone....

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Garfield's brother Odie died of distemper, and we almost lost Gar, too. Their Mom, Tigger, required blood transfusions to survive. It is a horrible illness, and totally preventable with vaccinations!

I am so sorry for your many losses. Maybe your Odie can look up my Odie, over the bridge, and take care of him and her other babies.

Be careful not to bring the distemper home to your kitties on your shoes. We lost a dog to canine distemper, caught from the shoes of people visiting us. (No, our dog was not up to date on his shots
)

Rest in peace, little ones. I'm sorry the world is so ugly that you had to pass in a shelter, rather than in a home. Special blessings on you and your co-workers for doing the difficult work of loving and caring for the animals!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is all so painful to even imagine. I am so sorry that all these sweethearts had to lose their lives. It is heartbreaking.

Rest in Peace all you sweet ones. Play happily and healthy over the bridge.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I change all of my clothes the moment I get in the house & my shoes don't come inside. I have to call the vets to make sure everyone is UTD on shots, I think Lily is due for one soon....

I stayed late today. I should have left at 2 pm for my cousin's graduation party, but no one wanted this kitten to die alone. I stayed and watched Jac. He was eating & drinking, but he was puking & had puddles instead of stools. His entire litter, Jac, Gus Gus, & Lucy will most likely not make it. The foster mom is going to be devastated. She didn't want to have to bring them in, but needed time for other fosters. She was stretched too thin.

I was sifting litter boxes to see who had loose stools, who had blood in their stools, etc. I felt like a gold miner. Chloe, an adult spayed front paw declaw female had blood in her stool, Patsy had loose stools w/ blood, but didn't puke, The puffers(one is now spoken for) had loose stools w/ maybe some blood, & Gert(Jac Gus Gus & Lucy's mom) had bloody stools. All of the cats behaved like their normal selves, though.

Before I left, I made sure I petted everyone & said good-bye. I won't be back until Tuesday & who knows who will be alive then....

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How heartbreaking! Again, many blessings to you and all those affected...both staff and foster homes!

I'm glad you are taking precautions to keep this away from your kitties at home! But I know you love the babies at the shelter, too. I'm so very sorry!

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As heartbreaking as the situation is, thank the Lord they have you there with them Natalie
you are their angel out of heaven.....

RIP sweet babies you are loved

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Puffer #2(she was surrendered w/ that name) died yesterday. She was not doing well, lethargic, unable to move, cried when touched, so she went to the vet to be pts. Puffer #1 is spoken for, so I hope she is OK. We have not lost any other cats yet. Patsy is doing awesome w/ slightly loose stools, Jac, Lucy, & Gus Gus are all fine & acting normal, like every kitten should.

Is it just me or is this morbid? When the HS president was asked when we would be adopting out cats again, she said "When they quit dying.". It's the truth, I guess. You don't want to send a cat home & have it die, risking exposure to other cats. ...sigh....

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chichismom

As heartbreaking as the situation is, thank the Lord they have you there with them Natalie
you are their angel out of heaven.....
I echo this sentiment. I know you have to be a strong and brave person to do what you do. Don't give up. You are saving so many kitties. Even for the ones who are euthanized or who die young, you are giving them the love and attention they need while they are at the shelter. God bless you for all you do.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
white cat loverSometimes I wonder why I keep volunteering & then I remember that someone has to love these poor kitties...if no one loves them & cares for them said:
I am saying prayers of thanks that you, and other people like you, do care for these poor kitties. And that those who will be PTS, will at least know human kindness and comfort from at least one person before they go. May the angels in Heaven give all those wonderful kitties all the love & care that they never got to enjoy here on this earth. I join you in honoring their too short lives.

middletown

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Sometimes I wonder why I keep volunteering & then I remember that someone has to love these poor kitties...if no one loves them & cares for them, then they just die alone....
Sometimes the volenteers are the only love these cats know. I am happy that you see that in your efforts.
My selter went through this about 5 years ago with distemper. i do not want to remember the count of kitties that died or were put down. At the same time frame we had a bout of kennel caugh and lost dozens of dogs too. I remember wanting to crawl into a ball and just give up on everything due to all the death of pets.
Nothing is as haunting as a quiet shelter.
i know your feelings...every day a sweet cat that i just knew would make it was dead or in line to die. it crushes your heart and haunts you when you are alone have time to think.
Its time like this, where you have to really hold onto your heart and keep it strong and full of love and compassion. Giving up leads to indifference about these cats plight.

Jim Willis said it best. (copied from within TCS posts)

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the
cast-offs of human society.
I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread,
sadness and betrayal.
And I was angry.
"God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do
something?"
God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly.
"I have done something," He replied.
"I created You."

Stay strong. We all send you happy vibes and conforting thoughts.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Middletown

Jim Willis said it best. (copied from within TCS posts)

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the
cast-offs of human society.
I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread,
sadness and betrayal.
And I was angry.
"God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do
something?"
God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly.
"I have done something," He replied.
"I created You."

Stay strong. We all send you happy vibes and conforting thoughts.
That is beautiful! It brings me to tears! Stay strong, all the volunteers in the shelters and rescues.

I hope your shelter kitties have recovered. What a blow to withstand. But it is true, without people like you to love and care for these precious animals, they would be so alone. Rest in peace, dear kitties.