Sniffly, sneezing cat.

2tatocatz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all. In August, my friend got me a cat. For my birthday. Ever since we've had her she's been really sniffly and sneezy, but I never really thought much of it. I thought she might just have a little cold and it would go away soon. She's had a sneezing fit before where she sneezed maybe 7 times in a row. Tonight she did too, then she sneezed THIS up:

It's exactly what it looks like. A HUGE dried up booger.

Is this something I need to take her to the vet for? Does this happen? Anything I can do to help her ?

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you had her checked by a vet since your friend gave her to you? It sounds like a URI, which are typically viral, but sometimes can trigger infections and may require antibiotics. If she hasn't been to a vet yet, you should take her in for a check up. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2tatocatz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't. We still have to take her to get fixed. Is this something I can do after she gets fixed or should I do it before? Cause, you know, $$$...

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I haven't. We still have to take her to get fixed. Is this something I can do after she gets fixed or should I do it before? Cause, you know, $$$...
I think she really needs to see a vet. You can't be sure it's just a simple URI when she's never been evaluated. Most areas have low cost spay and neuter clinics that are a fraction of the cost of doing it at your local vet. Contact your local humane society and see about local clinics. Where I live you can spay a kitten for $50 and the clinics are excellent. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2tatocatz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yup, URI. She's on meds now and should be back to normal soon.

Funnily enough I had my other cat in about 2 months ago for hacking like he was hacking up a hairball, and they ran all sorts of tests, etc. The vet didn't find a thing wrong with him except that he was mildly constipated. But now I'm thinking he probably has a very mild URI too. So once I get paid, it's his turn to go to the vet.