Snick and Jasper's new cat wall furniture

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i just today installed three new pieces of cat wall furniture for snick and jasper. it's their shared big birthday gift -- snick's birthday is august 1st and she'll be 15 years old, jasper's birthday is june 14th and he'll be 3 years old. i like to give them their big birthday and christmas gifts early, as i see no need to make them wait. they're given smaller gifts on their birth dates and on christmas day.

today i installed a Vertical Cat window walkway, and two CatastrophiCreations floating sisal posts. the window walkway is huge and quite heavy, a real bear to put up (by myself) but installation went surprisingly smoothly for me. i have a rule for cat wall furniture, that i like to attach to a minimum of one wall stud and preferably two studs. i attached to two wall studs with the window walkway, and the other three screws on each side went into wall anchors. the floating sisal posts were mostly for snick, because she's older and has some arthritis so i like to make it easier for her to use all the wall furniture. the sisal posts easily attached to one stud using three screws, again a surprisingly easy installation.

so, here are the pics of snick and jasper's living room wall furniture --

it was very bright and sunny today, so i had to close the drape behind the window walkway to get a decent photo. see one of the floating sisal posts to the lower right-ish, just above one end of the shelf below the window? i added that sisal post for snick because she's been wanting to jump down from the shelf just above it to the shelf under the window, but it's too far for her to jump. snick used that sisal post today as a stepper to get down to the shelf below the window -- that made my day! she also will use the sisal post for scratching soon enough, i'm sure. that's snick on the platform of the cat tree, napping.

here, you can see the whole window walkway. it joins two areas of cat wall furniture in our living room. see how there's plenty of space for the drape behind the walkway, so i can easily open or close the drape. and there's the second floating sisal post, to the left of the window walkway. that sisal post will again be a stepper for snick and also be used for scratching.

i didn't have time today to install the last stepper shelf for snick. there's a wall shelf behind the cubby house of the cat tree snick is on, and i want to add a stepper shelf so snick will easily be able to get from that wall shelf to the window to the left of it. snick loves laying in the window sills, and so does jasper. once i install the last stepper shelf there, snick will be able to lay in either window sill while jasper enjoys the other one.

and this final photo completes the right to left view of our living room kitty jungle gym. you'll see that i had added some foam child corner guards to the bottom corners of the wall mounted tv, so the cats are protected from the hard corners while they're climbing and jumping on their wall furniture.

jasper came downstairs a little later, and has been enjoying exploring the slightly changed wall furniture set up since then.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Wow, what an excellent setup! They're very lucky cats and you're providing them with a wonderful territory to explore.  Well done!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
A truly beautiful, creative and functional cat space...@mickNsnicks2mom.  I really like the way you put in a lot of thought, in using the wall studs to anchor to, which makes it far more safer, stronger and secure...especially for jumping cats.  Also like the idea of using a backing wooden board...similar to the wood used behind the 'window walkway' on either end...to span across the studs.  (I'm thinking that using this type of wooden backing can be used anywhere, like you did, and anchored to a stud, and then the exposed wood is strong enough vs drywall, to hold the frames up.  Really neat.) 

I didn't know where the sisal posts were, and how they'd be used...until you explained it.  Genius design...and a dual purpose...as a step and scratcher. 

Such an amazing use of vertical space.  And BTW...Snick napping on her cat tree...makes the whole kitty gym/wall furniture system even better. (Love how you mentioned Jasper exploring the 'slightly changed wall furniture'. Cats always notice changes in furniture placement....It's so cute just watching them explore.)

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
That is fabulous!  What a wonderful set up.
  Thanks for sharing the photos.  

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful. You're a wonderful handy woman. I wish I was. I'm not a wonderful anything except moaner.
Beautiful looking and beautifully done. I wish I was one of your cats. I can just see jasper smelling everything to familiarise himself with all the new furniture. Lovely.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome Job!! What a great gift for the kitties!! I am sure they love it. A lot of thought went into placement. I am very impressed!

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are nice. I really like the way you have it set up. I hope they like it, I don't really see a reason as to why they wouldn't but a cat is a cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

A truly beautiful, creative and functional cat space...@mickNsnicks2mom.  I really like the way you put in a lot of thought, in using the wall studs to anchor to, which makes it far more safer, stronger and secure...especially for jumping cats.  Also like the idea of using a backing wooden board...similar to the wood used behind the 'window walkway' on either end...to span across the studs.  (I'm thinking that using this type of wooden backing can be used anywhere, like you did, and anchored to a stud, and then the exposed wood is strong enough vs drywall, to hold the frames up.  Really neat.) 

I didn't know where the sisal posts were, and how they'd be used...until you explained it.  Genius design...and a dual purpose...as a step and scratcher. 

Such an amazing use of vertical space.  And BTW...Snick napping on her cat tree...makes the whole kitty gym/wall furniture system even better. (Love how you mentioned Jasper exploring the 'slightly changed wall furniture'. Cats always notice changes in furniture placement....It's so cute just watching them explore.)
thank you! in addition to making sure the cat wall furniture is very securely attached to the walls, one of my concerns was that if one of the cats were to have a piece of wall furniture fall down while they were on it, the stress and upset of that would be something they probably would remember for the rest of their life.

that's a very interesting idea, using a backing wooden board! i would think you'd have to use a hard type of wood, not soft like pine. just looking over at the vertical cat website, they use a backing board on much of their cat wall furniture -- http://www.theverticalcat.com/Cat-Shelves_c_7.html and they use wooden supports under the shelves too.

the floating sisal posts are great ! i fell in love with them as soon as CatastrophiCreations listed them at their etsy shop. they started going up in price almost immediately too -- my guess is because there was an immediate demand for them.

my original rough plan was much different than how it all worked out. i found that i thought i could fit more pieces of wall furniture than i ended up being able to in each space/area. but it was fun adapting my plan as i added more pieces. while i didn't buy everything from one seller, i made sure that the stains and carpet colors went well together.

awww, thank you! snick's my little darling. LOL -- when jasper came downstairs and caught sight of the slightly changed  wall furniture, he stopped in his tracks and just stared for a minute or two -- taking it all in. then he started exploring things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful. You're a wonderful handy woman. I wish I was. I'm not a wonderful anything except moaner.
Beautiful looking and beautifully done. I wish I was one of your cats. I can just see jasper smelling everything to familiarise himself with all the new furniture. Lovely.
thank you!

oh, i've muddled through these kind of projects and learned as i go along.

thank you! both snick and jasper are enjoying exploring all the new 'possibilities' .

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks. Gave me some good ideas for the "guarding the kitchen" problem I'm having with Hercules (Ritz hides under the table, won't pass by Hercules).