Sneezing

rfleming3719

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I have a question. My kitten, Vinny, is 4 months old. We’ve had him now for about one month. Since day one he has had a clear watery right eye and he was sneezing. The vet said it’s nothing to worry about since it’s clear. The watery eye and sneezing got a lot better and only there a little bit. Last night he started doing this reverse sneeze like a dog does. Scared me half to death. Then today he sneezed and I got a little buggar on my blanket.

Do you think he has an upper respiratory infection and should I take him back to the vet? Maybe he needs antibiotics now?

I guess I really am a worrier when it comes to my boys.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rhonda

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rfleming3719

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a video of it but my iPhone saved it as .mov and the site won’t let me upload it. If anyone can tell me how to upload it, I will so you can see what he’s doing

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. See if these instructions help to upload your video.

How To Upload And Add Videos To Your Posts

As far as your cat, Vinny, goes, if it were me I would be making a vet appointment. It could be a URI and if so, the sooner treated the better for Vinny and for you. No sense in fooling around with something that might only get worse if not treated as early as possible.

rfleming3719

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I followed the above steps and I think I uploaded the video but now how do I find it to show you?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you go to the end of the instructions that tell you how to embed a video/movie into a post? It is after the part about successful upload.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It looks like sneezing/reverse sneezing to me. I notice an almost gagging kind of motion, and he is licking his lips after a couple of the bouts - but, I think that is fairly typical with reverse sneezes.

This video is perfect for sharing with the vet too!!

rfleming3719

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awesome, thank you for watching and responding. Hopefully my vet knows what a reverse sneeze is. I’ve read on this site that quite a few vets don’t understand what it is. I will post an update tonight and let you know what she says. I pray it’s something that only needs an antibiotic because after what we just went through with our dog and then immediately after, Gunnar, I cannot emotionally handle any bad news.

rfleming3719

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I’m anxious to go tonight. I just want him better and not doing that. I honestly think it’s an URI because of the watery eye and sneezing prior to this and then him sneezing up that little present for me last night.

rfleming3719

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

Well I showed my vet the video and she said “that is what’s called a reverse sneeze” and I immediately felt better because she knew. Vinny does have an upper respiratory infection and he has an antibiotic that I have to give him for 14 days. She said not to worry about it, that it’s no different than us getting a cold. I feel SO MUCH BETTER! I was so worried about him and wasn’t sure what she was going to say. Thankfully it’s nothing more.

Thanks everyone for your comments and support. I really appreciate it. I’m a bit of a Nervous Nelly when it comes to those boys because they can’t tell us what they’re feeling so my imagination tends to run wild...LOL!

Rhonda