Sneezing

Lisaloowho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Harlow started sneezing today, and I have no idea why. He's been doing it all day, but he's acting normal other than that. His vet is closed today so if he hasn't stopped sneezing by Monday I'm going to take him in. Any idea what could be causing him to sneeze? He's indoor only, and six years old.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lisaloowho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, I haven't seen any discharge around his eyes, or nose

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A bit of sneezing is generally not an emergency, unless the sneezing is really frequent or he is pawing at his nose/muzzle indicating there could be something stuck in his nostril. Of course if he starts bleeding or anything or develops worse symptoms that is worthy of the emergency out of hours vet.

Is he ok in himself? Eating? normal energy levels? Bowel movements and urination normal? If it was just a little sneezing without other symptoms I would try not to worry too much. You can do a basic check for a fever by checking whether his ears and nose feel hot.

I'd keep an eye on him, it's probably minor, but you need to keep an eye out for any symptoms that indicate something more serious.

Lisaloowho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your response :) He's sneezing about once or twice every hour/two hours. It's just a couple little quick sneezes, and its over he's not scratching at his nose, or face.

He's acting normal still eating, drinking, and playing. I checked his ears, and nose and they don't feel hot at all. His eyes don't appear watery, and his nose looks clear. His poo's look normal.

I'll keep an eye out today, and watch for any changes. If he's still sneezing on Monday I'll take him in for a exam.

caitini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of mine just went off in an absolute sneezing fit one day. I'd never seen anything like it before (in a cat, anyway). The day it was gone and he hasn't sneezed since. :dunno:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can have seasonal allergies attacks just like we do :) or it could be a reaction to something new in the home? Candles, air fresher, cleaning products, any changes with something like that recently?

Dusty, or fragrances in cat litter can also be a problem.?

Lisaloowho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't started using any new cleaning products, or anything. I wonder if it could be a possible food allergy? I always feed him blue buffalo wilderness salmon, or chicken flavor, but I got the duck flavor for the first time about a week ago. He's still been sneezing today about the same as yesterday.