Sneezing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It worked like a charm (although I didn't use talc as I didn't have any).  I put 2 drops of lavender oil into about half a litre of warm water, added a healthy squirt of rescue remedy, soaked a clean cloth in it and wiped it over both of them.  They seemed to really enjoy it, there was no more hissing, and I think the mix made them very relaxed!

It was my birthday today and, while it was lovely to go out with friends, it is such a delight to come home to my furry buddies!

Last edited:

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It worked like a charm (although I didn't use talc as I didn't have any).  I put 2 drops of lavender oil into about half a litre of warm water, added a healthy squirt of rescue remedy, soaked a clean cloth in it and wiped it over both of them.  They seemed to really enjoy it, there was no more hissing, and I think the mix made them very relaxed!

It was my birthday today and, while it was lovely to go out with friends, it is such a delight to come home to my furry buddies!

I just have to respond to this.  I am so glad the lavendar oil worked out.  7 years ago I had a very serious illness and was in ICU for 7 weeks.  I could not wait to get home and see all of my babies.  So I hobble in the door and there sat both dogs and 2 of the kitties.  The dogs took one sniff and ran.  The cats were braver, they got much closer and then scrammed as well.  I was crushed.  After a shower I used talcum powder on most of my body.  I fell asleep on the couch and woke up with the kitties draped on the back of the couch and both dogs curled up with me.  So the stuff works!  I did not use talcum on any of the animals but would have had I known how well this works.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should be very careful about essential oils and cats - many of them are poisinous.  This URL is mostly about teatree oil, but several others get a mention at the bottom including lavender:

http://www.messybeast.com/teatree.htm
Essential oils which contain phenols are particularly toxic to cats and cause liver damage. These include Oregano, Thyme, Eucalyptus, Clove, Cinnamon, Bay Leaf, Parsley and Savory

Essential oils which contain ketones cause neurological symptoms. These include: Cedar Leaf*, Sage*, Hyssop*, Cyprus*, Lavender, Eucalyptus, Mint ,Caraway*, Citronella ,Clove*, Ginger*, Chamomile, Thyme and Rosemary (those marked * give particular cause for concern).

Cedar Oil, also marketed as a flea treatment, is also highly toxic to cats. It has been found to be toxic orally, when absorbed through the skin and an irritant if the fumes are inhaled (if the fumes are concentrated enough it may be absorbed through the lining of the lungs in toxic quantities). It is irresponsibly marketed by Cedarcide as safe for pets, but COSHH and toxicology data indicates it is toxic. Claims supporting Cedarcide are highly biased and were written for dog treatments (dogs have very different and more efficient liver function than cats). They are advertising claims, not scientific claims and perpetuate the misconception tha natural means "safe".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
You should be very careful about essential oils and cats - many of them are poisinous.  This URL is mostly about teatree oil, but several others get a mention at the bottom including lavender:

http://www.messybeast.com/teatree.htm

I almost wrote all about the lavender essential oil thing as I know it's a tricky one. 

I've worked with them for a while and have two aromatherapist friends, so I really do my homework with oils and animals.  Many are extremely toxic, but the dilution I used of lavender oil is fine.  I probably should have explained that before.  I'd actually prefer to use what I did, as, whatever you put on the cat will be ingested by them and I'm just a little unsure about talcum powder.

Last edited: