Sneezing Kitten???

Pet143r

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm fostering a mother cat and her 5 kittens. I have one that's sneezing alot, all of a sudden. the others sneeze now and then. most of them have one or both eyes with dried like sandman goop. took one to the vet and she prescribed eye drops. his eyes cleared up. used it on the others with the same problem. but it's the sneezing I am not sure of.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sneezing could be a sign of a cold which could also cause the eye problems. It could just be that one is taking longer to get over it than the others.

Is the kitten gaining weight?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pet143r Pet143r

It may be an URI, which is caused by the herpes virus. They could probably all use a round of antibiotics and it would clear up. Can you see the vet again?

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably needs antibiotics from the vet. You could also try supplementing Lysine- that sometimes helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pet143r

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks to all of you for your input. just when I think I got the eye infection cleared up, another one comes down with the eye infection. Running out of the medicine though. Someone told me that warm salt water would be just as good for their eyes. anyone out there feel the same about the warm salt water. the sneezing seems to have subsided (keeping my fingers crossed on that though). I have a lot more questions like advice on how to get that cat smell out of my house. I keep the kittens and their mom in a spare bedroom because momma cat is a stray and some what friendly, in that she'll let me pet her so far. we put a camera in the room to watch them. I clean the litter boxes 2-3 times a day & clean the floor with water when they or mom spills something. I read about cleaning with baking soda and distilled vinegar. I forgot to mention that the kittens are 8 weeks old. More questions, the mother cat was acting different, in that she wouldn't let the kittens nurse the other day. she was acting like she was uncomfortable, moving around, laying on her side and then roll over on he back exposing her under belly. She's throwing up at least once a day. she eats a little, drinks water, but mostly sleeps. is that a sign she's in heat?????? sorry for this lengthy post.

Pet143r

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm fostering a mother cat and her 5 kittens who will be 8 weeks old this August 3rd. she was a stray who let me take her and her kittens into my home. I have them in a spare bedroom with a camera so I can watch them. I don't let them out because I have a 9 yr old female cat who is spoiled. the problem is that the mother cat is not eating or drinking as much. she still let's the kittens nurse sometimes. one day she wouldn't let any kitten nurse, she pushed them away. One day watching her on the monitor she was acting restless, laying on her side then rolling on her back, that's the day she didn't want any thing to do with the kittens. could she be in heat and if so how long will she be in heat and how can I get her to eat, drink..she only let's me pet her some time..I've never tried to pick her up. she goes under the bed.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it sounds like mom may be in heat again - poor gal. She needs to be spayed. Can you make this happen?

With this vomiting, it sounds like early pregnancy.

What can you do to help?

Last edited:

Pet143r

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want to get her spayed but my vet said since she's nursing I have to wait until two weeks after she's stopped nursing
she can't be pregnant because she hasn't been out of the bedroom for the last month

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She could be going into heat. She is also weaning them. Are you putting out kitten food for them to eat? Royal Canin has a Mama cat and kitten dry food that has small kitten sized kibble. Wet food is also good. Royal Canin, Fancy Feast and other brands have wet food with extra vitamins and fat for kittens.

You should also be socializing the kittens; holding, petting and playing with them.

Pet143r

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Me again, what can I do, that's a good question. so is the next question. take them to see a vet, but that's costly I didn't realize how much work it would be to take in this family of 6.. never had kittens soooooo young before either LOVE EVERY minute that I have with them just want to do the right thing

Pet143r

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, they have dry & wet fancy feast kitten food and also some adult food. plenty of water, which I change daily, I do go in the room when I see that they are awake ( have a camera in the room so I can watch them ) and play, hold & talk to them. also that's when I clean their litter box. just want to do the right thing, because I've known the mother cat since she was a stray kitten whom I fed outside my house. Saw her grow up and have a family of her own. Which i didnt expect because, I'm not that familiar with cats ability to get pregnant so young. she's really a sweet girl. I think she's has a hearing problem and maybe a sight problem too. when I can get her to a vet I'll have them check everything out.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My vet treated my cat and her 4 kittens as "one" patient. In other words, I only paid one set of fees. Perhaps your vet will do the same.

Can you post pictures? Do you think mom has a sight problem?

Thanks for caring for this family!