Sneezing Fits

juliet mc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male cat has recently started having these sneezing fits, but there is no discharge from his eyes or nose, and he's eating and acting normally. After a sneeze attack, he'll rub his nose with his paw like a person suffering from allergies might do. Should I be concerned about this? Could he just be having allergies? As I said, he's eating and drinking normally and still is interested in his normal routine. No lethargy or hiding or any other outward symptoms except for the sneezing. Is there any supplement I can give him to help him out? I was thinking maybe some lysene in case it's the beginning of a uri, but opinions are appreciated. Has anyone else experienced this?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like allergies, especially with the weather we've been having in Texas lately. Lysine never hurts. You could also talk to the vet about a daily antihistamine if it worsens. If you notice any discolored discharge from the nose or eyes, then it's time for a trip to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juliet mc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! I've been keeping an eye on him, and he's also going to the vet for his shots either this week or next, so if he's still sneezing, I'll just talk to the vet about it then. I just wasn't sure if cats suffered from pollen allergies like people do.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 3 cats who are allergy sufferers to some degree. This time is really hard on them. Once the weather calms down and summer sets in, they'll be good until the fall/winter change.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your vet says your cat does indeed suffer from allergies and may benefit from an antihistamine, ask for a range of options, and what the minimum and maximum dosages are for each. Sometimes what works for one cat may not work for another, and it may take a few tries to figure out which antihistamine and dosage works best for your cat's needs. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juliet mc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awesome! Thanks for the info! I made an appointment for next Tuesday for both cats to get their vaccines, so I'll talk to the vet about it then if it's still an issue.