Smudge, "The Mighty Huntress" Brings in Yet Another Live Mouse

insidiousfeline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay. to start this post, please note that I don't mind Mice (as long as they don't think of my home as theirs). I don't scream upon the sight of the Lil critters, nor do I want to murder them. When my past Cats have brought in Mice, i don't complain, but instead just clean it up, or else release it if Ive managed to save it.

Unfortunately, my new cat, Smudge (a year and a half year old female tortoiseshell), has taken a new approach.

She doesn't kill them. in fact, she holds them so carefully, like a mother cat with her kittens, that apart from being slightly scared and slobber soaked, they don't have a mark on them. From what Ive noticed, she will simply drop them near the shoe rack in the corridor if someone is nearby, or else seek out someone, the tail of the mouse simply hanging out of her mouth, and drop it by them, before pouncing on it before it escapes again, if it makes a move to run. In fact, on more than one occasion, she's just dropped it into my hand before giving me a triumphant look.

Before you ask, i do give her plenty of attention, yet by nature, she just isn't a very affectionate cat. Also, she isn't an angel. She will, if no one is around, bring it in, decapitate it, and then leave it directly in the center of the hallway. as well as this, her victims vary. If its a mouse, then she tries to give it to me, but blue-tits will get eaten on sight, and Wrens (apparently not so delicious as the Blue-tits) are brought in. she has had toads before, but quickly spat it out.

Is it common for cats to do this? i am aware that they like to play with their prey, but do any others bring in live mice, or give them directly to you? how quickly do they grow out of it (i don't particularly want to be running around chasing my cat, even if it is only for 4 or however many years), and lastly, does anyone have any tips for how to catch them in a slightly better fashion than letting my cat grab it again and then snatching it off her? or possibly any methods to prevent this happening?

(PS: please note, that because of a few weird issues, i cant put a collar (and therefore, cant put a bell) on her)

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awwww! She is worried that you aren't catching mice for yourself, so she's bringing you some dinner! It is a pretty common behavior, but she does seem especially gentle in her carrying method. I do not know how to deter the behavior, though, other than making her an indoor only cat. My once-stray Sammy brought me all sorts of snacks/offerings, including a rabbit once, until we moved him inside permanently. I really think he was showing his gratitude for our companionship, so we treated it like an honor and always thanked him.

Last edited:

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add that by bringing live mice back to you, she is trying to teach you to hunt. Mother cats will bring live (at first usually dazed) mice back to the den for the little ones to practice. She loves you very much! The lessons sound like they are working, as skillfully as you can catch them now! :D

Last edited: