Smoking in beauty salons?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Winnipeg also has a no-smoking apartment building with a huge waiting list. The big news story this week is that they are trying to get by-laws in place that people who live in apartment buildings won't be able to smoke in their own homes because it bothers the other tenants here in the Toronto area and who knows where else in Canada.

navdoc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Louisiana finally passed a no smoking laws for restaurants that do not have a bar in them. Most other stores took it upon themselves to be non-smoking.

As for the beauty salons/barber shops, many state public health laws prohibit smoking due to the hand to mouth contamination of the barber/stylist. I used to inspect salons and barber shops while in the Navy.

navdoc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Winnipeg also has a no-smoking apartment building with a huge waiting list. The big news story this week is that they are trying to get by-laws in place that people who live in apartment buildings won't be able to smoke in their own homes because it bothers the other tenants here in the Toronto area and who knows where else in Canada.
I thought that only the Montreal (Quebec) folks were crazy. No offense intended.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is no smoking in public places here either, but I don't remember seeing smoking at any salons before the law or when I lived in NY. I'd find that a major turn off. I wouldn't want to come out with great hair but stinky!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That seems kind of gross and a fire hazard. I remember when I was younger my best friend's mother telling me how she lit her own beehive 'do on fire because she was having a smoke while primping! Of course, there's no smoking in public pretty much anywhere in NY, so it would really knock me for a loop if I saw it here.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No smoking in places of business in this country and from July 1st no smoking in pubs...

It will be the publicans without gardens I feel sorry for as they will lose a lot of business

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by silentNate

No smoking in places of business in this country and from July 1st no smoking in pubs...

It will be the publicans without gardens I feel sorry for as they will lose a lot of business
Heck no! All those non-smokers will start going there! Sorry, I'm being sarcastic here. I can understand not wanting someone smoking while I'm eating and not having smoking around children, but I do have a problem with nightclubs and pubs. If someone doesn't want to be around the smokers in the pubs, then don't go to the pub. It just seems to me that non-smokers are demanding too much. Shades of being so politically correct that we are going over the top again. OK my 2 cents worth is finished.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Heck no! All those non-smokers will start going there! Sorry, I'm being sarcastic here. I can understand not wanting someone smoking while I'm eating and not having smoking around children, but I do have a problem with nightclubs and pubs. If someone doesn't want to be around the smokers in the pubs, then don't go to the pub. It just seems to me that non-smokers are demanding too much. Shades of being so politically correct that we are going over the top again. OK my 2 cents worth is finished.
I kind of have to agree. Smokers have the right to smoke as long as they don't do it anywhere near a non-smoker, God forbid!

I find it a bit ironic, in addition, about everyone complaining about coming out of a salon stinking like a cigarette, considering the amount of stinky chemicals that you inhale while at the salon - toxic chemicals used for lightening/stripping hair, etc., and the hairspray itself!

I'm no longer a smoker, quit 3 1/2 years ago, but I would almost rather smell like cigarettes than stink of hair chemicals and hairspray. But that's just me!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They shouldn't! Smoking in salons is a thing of the past! Not only does it void out all sanitation and disinfection procedures it is also a hazard! Alot of chemicals are used that linger in the air (hairspray, bleach powder, perm solution) all which are highly flammable substances! It provides an unclean environment and risk of fire! Not to mention if your puffin with highlights processing in your hair and catch fire you will burn quick! Human hair burns quite fast and is a horrible experience! For insurance purposes it is not a wise choice! This I know because I am a licensed hairstylist! I am a former smoker of roughly ten years! Its hard enough to breathe inhaling chemicals all day in the salon, let alone add smoke and its hazard to the equations! In cases where a customer just had to have a smoke I would let them come outside with me (only on a hot day so the chemical process wouldnt stop... cold weather stops chemicals from processing)! If you want to smoke thats fine but the stateboard committee frowns upon it for sanitation purposes amongst others! You also use to be able to drink in salons and now most have ditched that option due to insurance purposes! if I had my own salon smoking in it would not be allowed especially for sanitation reasons! Now that Im a non-smoker I dont care for them smell (quite almost two years ago due to health issues)! I do still dream about smoking and want one sometimes but Im over it!