smoke or shaded?

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
PXL_20230809_022537225.jpg
PXL_20230708_182407094.jpg

this is Dante. I used to worry about the weird parts that showed in his fur and then i noticed he had light grey under the black. it's always been like this but I never asked about it. is this shaded? or smoke? I thought shaded was white I'm not sure what it's called when it's grey like this?? shaded smoke?

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First I'm going to apologize because I have no clue what his coat would be considered.
I just had to say Dante is a big beautiful boy!! I love his little mittens and his gorgeous face!!!! Dante is a stunning little man for sure!!

He reminds me a lot of my childhood kitty the only difference is Dante has a black beard, and my kitty Spike had a black mustache lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First I'm going to apologize because I have no clue what his coat would be considered.
I just had to say Dante is a big beautiful boy!! I love his little mittens and his gorgeous face!!!! Dante is a stunning little man for sure!!

He reminds me a lot of my childhood kitty the only difference is Dante has a black beard, and my kitty Spike had a black mustache lol

awww he must have been adorable! we found dante as a very very big one year old kitten living under our garden shed 5 years ago. he IS big. he weighs 15 pounds and you can kinda feel his ribs still haha. his head is like large grapefruit sized. lol.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beauty😻 My zena is also a long hair blk white tuxedo, but he is a mini forest cat, he looks a bit persianesque sometimes too.
As for the smoke or shaded I am not positive but I would say neither. If he were smoke the roots of his fur would be very white. Maybe shaded though.

Zena has gray areas due to the long hair. He also has white skin, which is strange… I think it’s because of being bi-color. Dante seems to have brown tones which happens with long hair, black cats, mostly.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
If I'm reading the CFA standards correctly, smoke is when the roots of each hair are white, and shaded is white undercoat with color only on the tips of the hairs. Your cat definitely doesn't fit the shaded description. I'm not sure there's enough definition between the whitish roots and the color to be considered smoke.

These are pictures of my black smoke and blue smoke girls' fur. The white on the blue smoke is not as clear as on the black smoke, and judges at CFA shows didn't all agree whether the blue was really a smoke or not.

MissP_smoke1.jpg
Shareena_smoke1.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If I'm reading the CFA standards correctly, smoke is when the roots of each hair are white, and shaded is white undercoat with color only on the tips of the hairs. Your cat definitely doesn't fit the shaded description. I'm not sure there's enough definition between the whitish roots and the color to be considered smoke.

These are pictures of my black smoke and blue smoke girls' fur. The white on the blue smoke is not as clear as on the black smoke, and judges at CFA shows didn't all agree whether the blue was really a smoke or not.
IMG_20200409_063113.jpg

So is there any colour designation that a grey to black/brown would get?it. his body is all chocolate and the legs tail and head are all black, except for the areas that are white. his belly is black and white.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

View attachment 457075View attachment 457076
Zena looks like your blue smoke girl at his roots but his skin is a lot whiter.