Smelly Litterbox Dilemma

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KuntryKitty

[font= "Comic Sans MS"]Fortunately, in my situation, the simplest, easiest, most in-expensive solution was the best. I just sprinkled bakings soda in the litter and mixed it in with the litter with a scoop, and the smell immediately disappeared! Mom says she can't smell a thing!
Thank you for all of your suggestions and ideas, though, it's nice to know that in case anything at all ever happens, you guys are here for me.
But sharky, I will definitely look into chick starter or egg layer for a litter, and mschauer, thanks so much for the ideas for air sanitizers! I may try that clip-on LitterMaid one anyway. Thanks again ya'll!
[/font]
You're very welcome. Zoey is very lucky to have you to take care of her.

Good luck!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No advice, I just wanted to say that Zoey is a sweetie. How could anyone not fall in love with her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[font= "Comic Sans MS"]Awwww.... thanks mschauer!
I can't give her the top-notch high quality foods, or the coolest house to roam, or dozens and dozens of toys... But she is spoiled with love!
:

Yosemite: thanks! I know, isn't she adorable? We totally fell in love with her! I love Siamese, but she is different... she's almost a pure, snow white, and only her little nose is black, not her face. Odd... prolly cause she's only half Siamese... She's snoozing in my lap right now, and I'm oohing and ahhhing over her!
What's a meowmy to do?
[/font]

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just caught this thread and will weigh in with more advice. Even though your girl only pees in the center of the box (and not on the sides or over the edge), you should still purchase a spare box and rotate that in at least once a month if not every few weeks. Use a urine neutralizer cleaner on the dirty box then put it out in the sun to bleach it out before rotating it back in. Urine will get into the plastic of the box very easily and after a while will cause it to smell, regardless of what you do with the litter itself.

I buy Sterilite plastic bins from Target rather than pricey litter boxes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[font= "Comic Sans MS"]Momofmany: thanks for the tip! I'll invest in another litterbox, maybe just a Rubbermaid or Sterilite containter. These things are my best friends! I organize letters, books, seasonal clothing in them- my hamster even lives in one, with LOTS of holes drilled in the top of course! Tomorrow when we're in town I think I'll pick one up. What cleaner do you suggest? We usually just use something like diluted Fabulosa or the Clorox Kitchen Cleaner...[/font]

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KuntryKitty

[font= "Comic Sans MS"]What cleaner do you suggest? We usually just use something like diluted Fabulosa or the Clorox Kitchen Cleaner...[/font]
It depends on the time of year and whether or not anyone in the house is sick. Bleach is not necessarily good for cats but its the only thing that will really kill some germs. I will use it in the summertime but only if I can completely wash out the bleach with soap afterwards then put it outside in the sun to bleach naturally. Don't simply use Clorox Kitchen Cleaner as it has bleach in it. I'm not familiar with Fabulosa.

What works even better is a combination of a urine neutralizer such as Nature's Miracle, Nok Out, or Urine Gone, then cleaned out with soap and water after the neutralizer has been given it's time to soak into the plastic. If you are doing this every other week, a jar will last a long time.