Smells like petroleum based product in cat's hair

rdmusc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My pure white cat came back today covered in some kind of blacked petroleum based product almost like liquid tar.  What can I do to remedy?  It's trying to clean itself and I am concerned it's going to get sick.  Tempted to take it in to pet emergency since this is a Saturday.

Richard M.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
My mother used to use peanut butter to get tar out of my hair (don't ask :anon:)
You might also try vegetable oil or Goop. I use Goop as a degreaser before bathing my cats for shows.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do not let her ingest the substance. I had this with my white cat Persil - in fact it is how I found her - a street kitten in Sarajevo, under my car, covered in engine oil. TCS members at the time recommended bathing in Dawn liquid soap, as it is the gentlest thing around but effective. I could not get that in Bosnia ( and it was late at night) so I used Dove shampoo, again the gentlest thing I had in the house. I used a soft dishcloth with a strong solution of the shampoo in warm water to get the worst of it off her. I then made her an Elizabethan collar out of cardboard to stop her licking herself. I repeated the process every day for a week before I even knew she was white. She had no ill effects. But that was five years ago - it may be that there is some better product now available, especially under vet care. I would say do whatever you have to do to stop her licking - a bag, a pillow case, a collar, and at least talk to a vet as soon as possible.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
BTW welcome to TCS. Just saw this was your first post. :wavey:

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would try the Dawn Dishwashing liquid. Its what they used on wildlife when we had the BP oil spill. Does a good job getting it off.

bshcatlover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would suggest trying Groomer's Goop (http://goophandcleaner.com/products/groomers-goop/).  It's specifically designed for degreasing your pet's coat complete with conditioners such as lanolin, glycerin, vitamin E, and aloe vera, to protect your cat's skin.  It comes in a tub and is the consistency of Crisco.  You just rub it into the dry coat and leave it in for about 5 minutes and then rinse it out. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rdmusc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Took cat to vet today because I needed to get shots anyway.  They could not get the substance out either and will have to remove hair.  Also having it neutered.  Thanks for the advice.

Richard M.

Baton Rouge,  LA