Smartest Way To Handle Feral And Stray Cats

weesocks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, this is my first post, greetings from South America.
actually I am from Canada and spend my winters in S.A. my dilemma is that I am feeding
a mother cat and her two kittens as well as a couple of cats from her previous litter, can't believe the previous litter is still sucking on the mother!( really weird watching two fully
grown cats sucking from the mother) competing with current kittens).
My problem is that there are too many strays hanging around as well as her previous two
which i would like to scare off.
How do i do that? There are no facilities (Such as animal welfare society places) or potential
homes for me to find. people here struggle enough to feed themselves.
I can handle the mother and her two kittens but have no way to look after the rest.
Besides, they will keep multiplying.
Its really hard to chase them away but i have to, what do i do? stop feeding them and eventually they will go away? I am committed to the mother and her two kittens(its now my
duty to continue what i started) i really appreciate any advice as to the best way to go about
this dilemma.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you only want to feed a few cats, you have to feed them separately in an area other cats can't access.

They need to be spayed/neutered. Otherwise you'll be feeding 50 cats in a couple of years. Is there a vet in the area at all? The good news about being in a low-income area is that if there is a vet the prices should be pretty low.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weesocks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you only want to feed a few cats, you have to feed them separately in an area other cats can't access.

They need to be spayed/neutered. Otherwise you'll be feeding 50 cats in a couple of years. Is there a vet in the area at all? The good news about being in a low-income area is that if there is a vet the prices should be pretty low.

Most of the vets and general animal husbandry are concentrated in areas where there is a cattle or sheep.
I would have a problem trying to round up for neutering its just not practical. as far as feeding goes I usually feed the mother and kittens separately and stand guard until they have finished. unfortunately, there is no easy answer, that's why I was looking for any answers/information. I will attempt to capture the mother and take her to a vet that's interested in dealing with cats. In the meantime, its almost a full-time job scaring the gang away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weesocks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS anada:welcomesign:

I don't have experience with dealing with groups of feral cats. A fair number of people here do, though (like @Norachan), so hopefully some of them will chime in soon.

In the meantime, these articles may help:-
Saving Feral Cats
Everything You Need To Know About Tnr (trap-neuter-release)
Handling Feral Cats
9 Practical Ways For You To Help Feral Cats
Thanks for the resources, however, they all have to do with caring and vets are on every street corner
in Canada. not so in the third world. I would be happy to continue to care for the mother and kittens, they now depend on me of course. its the rest I can't handle. I know it is not a simple solution.