Smart kitty knows when I get home and when I leave

magiksgirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone! Magiks here!

I just thought I'd share something I've been noticing Grin doing. She's a (maybe) 2 year old spayed momma.

Every weekday I come home and leave at about the same time. We live on a hill, so my house has 3 levels. I live on the 2nd. The kitties have free reign of our land so they usually are roaming around outside between the guest houses, halls and stairs.

I noticed that Grin started to "see me off" so I pet her "see you later", she started to this more and more. Since I found it awesome that she sees me off, I made sure to give her a minute or two of pets so she would keep coming back. This means that everyday she makes her way down the other 2 levels of houses and stuff, jumps to the little 3 ft. pillar by the door and waits for me to pet her on my way out 

I also started to notice her being there when I get home, on the railing (we have the pillar inside and a meshed wall so that you can't see into the house). I come home and start walking up the street and see this kitty just sitting and staring down the street. I open the gate and she sits in the pillar and I can tell she wants pets, so I give them to her 

Ever since she had her kittens I've been so distracted by their cuteness, that I admit I may have neglected giving her attention a little. When she had them I spent the next 3 months playing with the babies and finding them a home. I was able to keep 2. Now that they are growing, I find that they were very well socialized (Thank you TCS for all the information and advice! 
) so I find it easier to play with the kittens since they let themselves be picked up, cuddled and such, contrary to momma, since she was a stray and is slowly letting herself be picked up only a few seconds. The almost 6 month old kitties usually stay in the 2nd and 3rd level, so I give them a lot of attention because that's where I usually am. She's very smart! She knows that when I arrive and leave the other kitties are not there, so I'm all hers!

I just thought I'd share this little story about her behavior since I had no idea cats would go through all that trouble to greet someone and see someone off.
Reminded me of my rainbow bridge doggie who used to wait for me as well.

Thanks for reading! 

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's nice when they do this. Lilith and Sophie often sit on the kitchen windowsills until i pull up in the driveway. Sophie will come and greet me at the door. Lilith stays in the window until i go greet her. If I am late, Sophie scolds me. She does not like to be kept waiting.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

magiksgirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sophie sounds  so considerate not making you walk towards her!
 And Hahaha at Lillith being a princess!

I, too, have a princess in my hands! She's the daughter of Grin and she's very in her own princess role. She sits with her back towards me expecting to be picked up, and when I don't, she'll turn her head slowly as if to say "do it, I'm waiting" 
 When I do pick her up she'll lay across my arm and dangle herself as if I was a bed and look at the world. I'll then parade her through the house and she'll be very pleased. She'll also expect belly rubs when she wants and she screams for her pouch of wet food. A darn princess in my hands. She's so special to me.

Momma Grin on the other hand is so sweet! She quietly approaches me for pets or looks at me with her big green eyes as if to say "May I have pets and rubs, please?
"

Grinnie the Kid just sits next to you and starts to walk on your lap with his head down so you give him pets. If you hold up your hand, he'll just rub himself under it. He's more of a sweet pets-taker 

athegaylouise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea it's crazy how smart our cats are!

Every time I put my key in the door I hear my little Blair's bell jingle as she runs up to greet me at the door. She loves greeting me and getting cuddles. Sometimes she is almost too smart though haha 

My roommate has a cat and we keep their food bowls in our rooms so that they eat separately and aren't allowed in the other cat's "room". Well when my roommate leaves his door cracked and even though Blair's collar makes noise with her bell on it, she has learned how to sneakily walk to she can creep into his room without the bell making noise and try to steal Meowz' food. 

She gets scolded when we catch her! 

Keeps things interesting though lol

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My calico, Boogie Bear, knows when I'm coming and going too. Many years ago, when she about 1 to 3 years old, I lived in a fairly large, first floor apartment. I usually parked in the space in front of my bedroom window which was also the closest space to my front door. The sidewalk led up to a large window in the dining area which was at a 90º angle to the front door. Any time I left the apartment, she would sit in the dining area window while I locked the door. Then I'd get in my car and look up to see her sitting in the bedroom window watching me leave. She'd be in one of those 2 windows when I'd get home. There was a kitchen window and a whole wall of windows in the living room she could have picked if it was just to be in a window. But those 2 windows she could watch me leave and wait for my return. 

We moved when I bought a house. It's harder for her to watch me coming and going in the house. There is a bay window in the kitchen that you can see the drive way from. I think she does hang out there some expecting my return. I haven't actually seen her in the bay window while pulling up, like I saw at the apartment, but when I come home, she is always in the entryway or kitchen, which are next to each other. It's possible she could just hear the noise coming from the garage and know I will appear from it shortly. But my mom tells a different story. About 4 years ago, my mom stayed with me for an extended period of time, while recovering from cancer surgeries. She told me Boogie Bear would sit at the front door or laundry room door (you enter/exit from the garage through the laundry room) and cry after I'd leave for work. She also said about 20 minutes before I'd usually get home, Boogie Bear would come and sit and wait for me there. She'd be napping somewhere else and wake up to come wait for me.

She's not really an affectionate cat like my boys, who don't greet me everyday. I think this is how she shows her affection.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure the cats can tell time.  Eclipse knows when it is 5 pm and he will start prancing after me to go for a walk, and Fluffy starts meowing at me at 9:30pm to go upstairs and play.