Small wound neck

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think my cat may have scratched herself. I woke up to her cry and one cat was eating and the wounded one was by her toilet. So i don't think they were fighting. They normally don't hurt each other.

I cleaned the wound with soap and put a dab of origonal neosporin. It's there anything else i can do? I'm at work but watching through my camera. She's calm and resting.

My cat has blackheads caused from an old collar so it makes her itchy. My vet gave me a shampoo to use and told me to dry popping out the black heads. Is there any other product that works faster and isn't a hassle to use like shampoo?

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think using the original neosporin should be fine, and cleaning with either soap and water or Vetricyn (in the U.S.) or the above, or even Hybiclens is ok too. For the blackheads, I know some people have been known to use Stridex on their cats for Feline Acne on their chins, so not sure why that wouldn't work on their necks too, although I wouldn't want to use it on that wound because I'm afraid it might be painful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get something like this where you live. I find it really good.

Leucillin Antiseptic Skincare First Aid Spray | Pets At Home

You could also try gently cleaning the area, wound and blackheads with warm water a couple of times a day and putting a little coconut oil on it,
I found it on amazon, but i am scared to buy anything from there for pets. I have heard they sell fake products.

I think using the original neosporin should be fine, and cleaning with either soap and water or Vetricyn (in the U.S.) or the above, or even Hybiclens is ok too. For the blackheads, I know some people have been known to use Stridex on their cats for Feline Acne on their chins, so not sure why that wouldn't work on their necks too, although I wouldn't want to use it on that wound because I'm afraid it might be painful.
No worries. Right now i just want her to heal and then i will focus on the acne. thank you for the suggestions!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
They told you to pop the blackheads? That's one of the worst things you can do to pimples or blackheads. Do not try to pop them by yourself, let the vet drain them properly.

You could accidentally force the pus and bacteria deeper into the skin or contaminate the area with bacteria from your hands.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They told you to pop the blackheads? That's one of the worst things you can do to pimples or blackheads. Do not try to pop them by yourself, let the vet drain them properly.

You could accidentally force the pus and bacteria deeper into the skin or contaminate the area with bacteria from your hands.
That's what my vet said. To try popping them.

Her wound has healed but the skin around it is bumpy. I'm emailing my vet to see if i should bring her in.

Does anyone know anything that will clear out her blackheads quickly?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what my vet said. To try popping them.

Her wound has healed but the skin around it is bumpy. I'm emailing my vet to see if i should bring her in.

Does anyone know anything that will clear out her blackheads quickly?
Yeah I wouldn't be popping them. That not only hurts like heck but you can make things worse by forcing the bacteria deeper into the skin. Let them pop on their own. I don't know why your vet would recommend such a thing.

You could try benzoyl peroxide for bad outbreaks. Also carefully clean the area with a warm damp cloth don't pop the pimples though.

This link might be helpful https://vetericyn.com/blog/what-is-cat-acne/

Last edited:

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found a product similar to Vetricyn at petsmart and it worked great. The wound started healing really fast.

Yeah I wouldn't be popping them. That not only hurts like heck but you can make things worse by forcing the bacteria deeper into the skin. Let them pop on their own. I don't know why your vet would recommend such a thing.

You could try benzoyl peroxide for bad outbreaks. Also carefully clean the area with a warm damp cloth don't pop the pimples though.

This link might be helpful What Is Cat Acne? | Vetericyn
I just pressed a towel with warm water to the area. And she loved it. She actually leaned into the towel.

Thanks for the link!