Small lump under BOTH my kittens' skin?

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello!
I have discovered yesterday, on the right side, near the front armpit, a small lump on both of my male kittens. They are littermates, approximately 5.5-6 months old, up to date on shots, and just were neutered one week ago today. They don't seem bothered when I touch it, they walk normally and have large amounts of energy. They are eating and drinking and using the litterbox regularly as well. I'm not sure what it could be, hopefully someone here can give me some insight.
(They will be going to the vet relatively soon, because they have some retained baby teeth. I just wanted an idea of what it could be beforehand to hopefully gain some peace of mind.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My mom says that it feels rubbery, almost like a lymphnode. About the size of a chili bean or lima bean. Could the fact they have retained teeth or the fact they were neutered a week ago be causing an inflamatory response?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's odd, and it does seem like it could be related to the neutering, although I don't know how.  I'd call the Vet who did the surgery and ask.

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it's really strange. I'll call tomorrow at some point and ask. Still very worrying though.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boys retained a lump after their rabies shots.  It went away eventually.  Maybe it's from the anesthesia?

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is exactly what I was thinking, maybe from the anesthesia. I have 15 cats, however, and never noticed a lump on any of them after any shots or surgeries. I guess *noticed* is the key word, though. They may have had one as well and I just never felt it. Hopefully that's all it is though. Do you happen to remember how long before it went away?

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I remember right, it was there for about a month.  We watched them really closely to see if they acted "off" and I was gonna ask the vet about it when they got neutered but it was gone.  

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alright, thank you very much for your insight. It has given me a little bit of hope, aha. I'll still call tomorrow and ask if it's common or what they think.
Anyone else is obviously still able to give me any useful feedback! Thanks again for the help!

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just had a cat who went in for a dental & within a week she had a bump near her armpit. It's gone now but I believe it's a reaction at the injection site. My dog used to get the rattlesnake vaccine every year & she would always lump up, after a week or two it dissipates. If it doesn't go away within a couple weeks, I'd definitely go to the vet.

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ah, thank you so much! It makes me happy to hear this lump thing is more common than not. I really am hoping that's all it's from; some sort of injection during their surgery. I really appreciate everything you have all told me x

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just make sure you monitor it & don't forget about it. If it doesn't go away in a couple of weeks, go to the vet & have it checked out

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Will do! Also, what did the lumps feel like? Just wondering if theirs are similar to what you felt.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know a lump! Maybe around the size of a grape, you could get your fingers all the way around it, it was gross. I gross out with stuff like that so I didn't push around on my cat as much as my mom did but it didn't squish when you pushed it, it was solid. One day I massaged the area, I was petting her from head to tail & when I got around to the lump, I kept the motion going & did that a couple times, I don't know if you know how to drain your lymph nodes under your jawline but I did something similar. I don't know if that helped but within a couple days of that, I almost couldn't feel it anymore, that's when I realized it was probably from the shot.

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm the same with the lump thing. I make my mom feel the lumps every day because I just can't do it, aha. But okay, yeah, that sounds similar to theirs. I'm not familiar with how to drain lymph nodes, but maybe my mom is. I'll have to run it by her to see if she can try it while I'm at work today. Worth a shot!

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
you basically keep a motion going, like head to tail. Don't go around in a circle, don't knead them, just the same kind of pressure head to tail. You go over the area a few times. When you work your neck, you go from jawline down to chest, over & over. So I put my hands before the bump & rub toward her tail, then I put my hands back where I started & rub toward her tail, over & over, the same motion, the same pressure going over the lump.

I don't know how else to explain it.

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That makes a lot of sense. I will definitely try that if they don't go away within a couple of days.
Also a side note for everyone, I called the vet and they basically said what you all said; it could be from the rabies booster they got. They said just to keep an eye on it and if it starts getting bigger or weird to bring them in. They also said we can ice it, but I don't think it's necessary because they seem to be getting smaller.

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to update - the boys are fine now, the lumps have completely diminished amd their teeth fell out on their own (and with some extra play time.) Thank you all for the help!

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
oh their baby teeth? that's rad you got to see, I've never seen one. Glad the bumps are gone. Next time YOU can be the one to explain your experience & help some one else out. I'm sure it happens all the time