Small kitten cheap food recipes please!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I don't know why others are missing this but one can of Fancy Feast is only 3 oz of food a day. An adult cat when feeding only canned Fancy Feast needs 2 cans to make 6oz of food.

A kitten should be getting more then 3 oz a day. You really need to increase your kitties food with either more canned or canned and dry food.
No, 3 oz of food a day isn't enough for a growing kitten. Kittens can easily eat 6 oz or more of food a day. The OP said food was costing her a lot so she is looking for homemade recipies and such to feed to the kitten in addition to the one can of Fancy Feast and kitten milk. Her last post says she is going to add dry food to the diet. Free feeding dry food and giving the one can of Fancy Feast would be best for now. I hope the OP posts an update after her kitten has the vet check up.

Last edited:

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Snugglecat I don't think anyone is missing anything.A kitten is supposed to eat all it can in a day & be gaining a lot of weight.This owner of the babe is looking for something cheap to add to what she is already supplementing.It should not be adult food but kitten food.If she wanted to supplement with Dry it should be kitten as well.Royal Canin makes an excellent kitten dry ,very tiny tiny crunchies,but it costs money.Cats /kittens cost money.There aren't many replies because there is nothing cheap.No magic wand just food/kitten food & as as much s the little one will eat period.Hugs C.

evolily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten is 7 weeks, and currently drinks about 100 mls of milk replacer a day and has 1 can of either Iams kitten food or Special Kitty kitten food, divided into three one ounce meals. If I had to leave her for more than 6 hours I'd have kitten kibble in her kennel. I may have to give her some kibble, just for financial reasons, until she's done growing and can go on a lower cost adult wet food.

What's most important is that the kitten gets calories and nutrients. Even if the source is not ideal.

molly22

Country girl living the life with my furry friends
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat just turned a year old. I fed her about a can (3 0z) and a half of wet food and left a bowl of dry kitten kibble out 24/7. She ate so much it was crazy so I would say your kitty needs more food [emoji]128522[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keats1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know why others are missing this but one can of Fancy Feast is only 3 oz of food a day. An adult cat when feeding only canned Fancy Feast needs 2 cans to make 6oz of food.

A kitten should be getting more then 3 oz a day. You really need to increase your kitties food with either more canned or canned and dry food.
Thanks. I already did that :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keats1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, 3 oz of food a day isn't enough for a growing kitten. Kittens can easily eat 6 oz or more of food a day. The OP said food was costing her a lot so she is looking for homemade recipies and such to feed to the kitten in addition to the one can of Fancy Feast and kitten milk. Her last post says she is going to add dry food to the diet. Free feeding dry food and giving the one can of Fancy Feast would be best for now. I hope the OP posts an update after her kitten has the vet check up.
My kitty is eating well now, she is getting full faster. However, I will post an update on the 14th, as that is when I'm going to take her to see the vet. I'm a little nervous, but we'll see how it goes.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitty is eating well now, she is getting full faster. However, I will post an update on the 14th, as that is when I'm going to take her to see the vet. I'm a little nervous, but we'll see how it goes.
I didn't see previously that you were only feeding 3 oz of canned or only 1 pouch per day, definitely not enough although it sounds like maybe now you are feeding more?

We got our cats at 10 weeks and I let them eat as much canned food as they wanted, smaller meals - tiny tummies but several meals throughout the day.

Also, the more nutrient dense the food is, the more sated kitties feel.

Let us know how it works out with the vet. :)