small graze/cut on zorro's paw, question about using glue

jonro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok so Zorro gets cuts on his paws from time to time from being an outdoor cat, they are usually small and when i take him to the vet for them all they usually do is clean it up with Chlorhexidine and charge me allot of money. Plus my cat absolutely hates being in moving cars and a trip to the vet causes him a massive amount of stress, the type where he loses control of his bowels. So i would like to avoid it if possible.

He came inside 2 days ago with a small cut on one of his toe pads. The way to describe it is a few layers of skin have come up and the small flap of skin is facing to the back end of his body, so that when he walks its constantly being lifted up and being irritated. It started out not deep enough to bleed but just pulling up a few layers of skin. Also with it being a small flap it traps dirt under it easily, hence why ive been making extra sure to clean it twice a day.

As i have been cleaning it twice a day with Chlorhexidine ive noticed through the wear of walking, running and jumping that its just deep enough now to start bleeding, its not gushing or anything just slightly bleeding and stops very quickly as the Chlorhexidine dries, it is also very clean and there is no sign of infection. But i cant see it healing without some kind of protection.

I've been doing some searching around on line and found out that people use non toxic super glue on allot worse cuts on dogs and cats paws.  If i was to give it a good cleaning/flush and let it dry clean and then just covered it with a layer of glue, would this be safe and provide the protection it needs to heal?

Here is a video of a vet using it on a much worse wound on a dog:

Much thanks for any help

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really wouldn't advise using a glue. Glue isn't breathable, and could end up making things worse. Something like this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HRFKH4A/?tag=&tag=thecatsite) would be much safer. I've not used this particular one myself, but I have used similar products on my horses with great success. If it's possible to keep him inside for a couple of days (possibly even crated in a big dog crate to restrict movement a bit) it would be a good idea. I say this because a couple of days of relative rest will kick start the healing process.

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta
you can. there a lot of vet super glues (cyanoacrylates) available but i would try something milder first. but if you do use it, i would just seal up the wound with it. i wouldn't cover it with a layer of glue. remember, cats sweat through their paws. maybe you could use a vet bandage or vet wrap on that paw. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
you can. there a lot of vet super glues (cyanoacrylates) available but i would try something milder first. but if you do use it, i would just seal up the wound with it. i wouldn't cover it with a layer of glue. remember, cats sweat through their paws. maybe you could use a vet bandage or vet wrap on that paw.
If you do try bandaging be very careful about tension - especially with Vetrap or similar. I've used it a lot on horses and occasionally on my dog. It's very stretchy and there's a high risk of over tightening the bandage. Even being used to it, I over tightened it on my dog once. Luckily, I realised within 10 mins or so, but his leg had already started to swell a little above the bandage. The other issue with VetRap is its not breathable enough. It's fine for a few days, but if used for longer it can lead to a fungal infection in or around the wound - its all to good at creating the warm, damp, dark environment fungal infections love.

NB - I of course don't mean it's wrong for a vet to use it longer, but even with veterinary supervision I've known use of VetRap on foot (paw/hoof) for longer periods to become counterproductive.

I'd never heard of veterinary superglues detmut detmut . I must be behind the times!

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta
If you do try bandaging be very careful about tension - especially with Vetrap or similar. I've used it a lot on horses and occasionally on my dog. It's very stretchy and there's a high risk of over tightening the bandage. Even being used to it, I over tightened it on my dog once. Luckily, I realised within 10 mins or so, but his leg had already started to swell a little above the bandage. The other issue with VetRap is its not breathable enough. It's fine for a few days, but if used for longer it can lead to a fungal infection in or around the wound - its all to good at creating the warm, damp, dark environment fungal infections love.

NB - I of course don't mean it's wrong for a vet to use it longer, but even with veterinary supervision I've known use of VetRap on foot (paw/hoof) for longer periods to become counterproductive.

I'd never heard of veterinary superglues @detmut. I must be behind the times!
http://www.entirelypets.com/vetbond.html

http://www.revivalanimal.com/Liquivet-Rapid.html?relatedid=20052

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21318

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jonro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I will just confine him to inside, I live in a small one bedroom apartment and he hates being stuck inside and using the litter tray, but he will just have to suck it up for the sake of not getting an infection, not that he understands that lol. My floors are lino and smooth so it shouldn't agrivate the injury.

It's not actively bleeding and I will keep a close eye on him for infection.

Thanks for the advice and any more is welcome.

jonro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Usually the cheap clay, dusty gravel like stuff. But I'm going to replace it with the softer pellets made from recycled paper.

One thing that pees me off about vets is that to get some anti biotics for preventative measure, I have to go through the hassle of taking my cat in. I'm 95% sure from past experience(same injury) that they would just clean it with Chlorhexidine (which I can do at home) and give him amoxicillin. I might give the vet a ring and explain the situation, but I doubt they will give me it.

I do have human doxycyline but I'm not sure if I should use it. I've read that it can cause Swallowing difficulties in cats.

Thanks

jonro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did try to buy it once when the vet was closed, when the guy asked what was wrong with my fish I didn't want to lie and explained that the vet was closed and I needed them for my cat, his reply was " no don't sell em " although I got the feeling he just didn't want to sell them to me as they were for my cat.

Anyhow to update there looks to be a nice Strong scab that's formed on his toe now and no sign off infection so hopefully he's on the mend.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

maybe you could use a vet bandage or vet wrap on that paw. 
Or a small baby sock
You may need to use a little bit of gauze to gently tie the top of the sock to prevent it from slipping down.

jonro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i would but my cat and bandages really REALLY don't agree, it would be torn off within 5 minutes.

When he was younger and sliced one of his main paw pads down the middle, yea it was bad, and the vet put 3 layers of those stretchy bandages that are near impossible to get off, he actually started chewing at his upper leg and i have no doubt if we hadn't of removed it in time he would have done some serious damage to himself, yea he hates them that much.