Small Cell Lymphoma Steroid Use and Side Effects

kittygirl123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!
I have previously posted on my 13 year old kitties diagnosis. He had an ultrasound (but no biopsy per vets recommendation) to determine he "likely" had small cell lymphoma after years of chronic constipation and recent unexplained weight loss.  

It is now 4 months post ultrasound and he has gone up from 11.9 to 12.4 pounds and held steady there for 2.5 months or so.

He is on 5 mg of prednisilone.However, we had to switch to transdermal ear dosing last month as a result of the fights and tricks to pill him wearing off. His senses are too keen and he could smell the meds within his fish, chicken or otherwise and he is a violent cat to hold down.  

I am posting because he has been meowing like NEVER before, as if calling me constantly. He used to cry horrifically from the litter pan but since the script diet and fiber/med combo he goes regularly, yay!  He also, just recently started drinking more water. Not excessive but also vomiting a bit more. While it used to be common from eating to fast (and vomiting up whole pieces) more recently it is very watery.  It occurs every other day or every few, but can go a week and not happen.  I am simply concerned it is the medicine so watching his weight.

We appreciate your thoughts and feedback!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Diabetes is always a possibility with steroid use.  It usually happens with longer terms use but that is a possibility.  I would get blood work done to check for that.

I have never used the transdermal form, fortunately my kitty is easy to pill, so I don't know if it could be a difference in absorption.  I would ask your vet about that.

Another possibility unfortunately is progression of the disease if it is small cell lymphoma.  Pred will help for a time and will help slow progression and quality of life but at some point the lymphoma will get out ahead of the pred.  Has your vet discussed using a medication called Leukeran with you.  It is a stronger immunosuppresant and is classed as a chemo drug.  It is used for small cell lymphoma and many vets have started using it for severe and treatment resistant IBD.  It does have to be given orally.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittygirl123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you @Denice !  

Do you know if diabetes is common? I would be so upset if so. My vets receptionist said usually head is hanging over water bowl with diabetes but not sure vet would agree. He actually gained another .2 as of today.

Vet said if no weight loss would not consider Leukeran, in her experience some kitties do fine on steroids for years. And despite many kitties doing well on it, I do know of 2 cat owners who's cats did terrible, vomiting, lethargic etc. so I guess I am a bit afraid to start it without weight loss.  The other concern is my kitty had IBD with constipation but hard to know what is best. I understand it is a very expensive medication. Have you used it?
You are lucky your kitty is easy to pill.  Transdermal is tough stuff too!