Small cell lymphoma, long term Prednisolone use and wasting

Dessikannna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 14yo 18 lb big boy (not overweight) has gone through gamut the last few years. He’s had radiation treatment for hyperthyroidism, then Prednisolone and chlorambucil for GI small cell lymphoma. Recently, we had a normal blood test (yay!) then not long after he started haunch walking. The vet saw symptoms of arthritis and we scheduled him for solensia. The day before his shot, he started limping on his front leg (elbow out). Solensia gave him a few days of explosive diarrhea, but no relief from the pain. A week later, we are seeing a hyper-extended wrist. The ortho believes this is from prolonged use of steroids (a weakening of the ligaments). My boy is still eating and wobbling about, using the litter box (as best he can. I don’t think he’s ready for the rainbow bridge yet. So I’ve ordered splints for the wrist and ankle. The vet doesn’t believe he will heal his ligaments, even though we are tapering off the pred and supplementing with Glycoflex plus. Has anyone else experienced this weakening and if so, what can I expect or prepare for?
Thanks for your advice!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wh as t was the dose of the Prednisolone and how long has it been given?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dessikannna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
5mg am/pm (10mg per day) for the 10 months, then 5 mg pe day for the last 2 months.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cat (18+ yo) had a hyper-extended wrist diagnosed about a year ago, reason unknown (has never taken Pred). It did eventually get better, but it was never determined how/why it happened. She was on gabapentin for a while, and shortly thereafter we started giving her Solensia injections that we stopped after 6 months, as it would seem they may have decreased in effectiveness, and she was exhibiting some possible side effects from it. The ortho that looked at her wrist suggested a brace and/or physical therapy, as well as limiting her movements. She is pretty non-mobile as it is, and we opted not to do either of the ortho's suggestion due to her other health conditions. Another internal med vet wondered if acupuncture might be something to try.

Keep up the Glyco Flex Plus! Feeby ate those chews for a little over 3 years and I do think they helped with her arthritis. I would still have her eating them now if she hadn't decided she no longer likes the taste. I am contemplating trying to start them back up, just in case she has changed her mind about the flavor.

If by chance you started the Glyco around the same time as the Solensia, that might have been the cause of the diarrhea. The instructions say to give two chews initially, and then just one ongoingly. Knowing that green lipped mussels can affect stool, I never gave Feeby more than one chew (and when she started them, she weighed close to 18 pounds).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dessikannna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat (18+ yo) had a hyper-extended wrist diagnosed about a year ago, reason unknown (has never taken Pred). It did eventually get better, but it was never determined how/why it happened. She was on gabapentin for a while, and shortly thereafter we started giving her Solensia injections that we stopped after 6 months, as it would seem they may have decreased in effectiveness, and she was exhibiting some possible side effects from it. The ortho that looked at her wrist suggested a brace and/or physical therapy, as well as limiting her movements. She is pretty non-mobile as it is, and we opted not to do either of the ortho's suggestion due to her other health conditions. Another internal med vet wondered if acupuncture might be something to try.

Keep up the Glyco Flex Plus! Feeby ate those chews for a little over 3 years and I do think they helped with her arthritis. I would still have her eating them now if she hadn't decided she no longer likes the taste. I am contemplating trying to start them back up, just in case she has changed her mind about the flavor.

If by chance you started the Glyco around the same time as the Solensia, that might have been the cause of the diarrhea. The instructions say to give two chews initially, and then just one ongoingly. Knowing that green lipped mussels can affect stool, I never gave Feeby more than one chew (and when she started them, she weighed close to 18 pounds).
Thank you!