Small cell lymphoma in the intestines

Aileen666

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 15 year old cat ( soon to be 16) was just diagnosed with small cell lymphoma of the intestines after taking X-rays , blood test , ultrasound of abdomen , CT of chest and then a biopsy performed after a colonoscopy.
Thursday she was prescribed a steroid and I was told to f/ u with oncology. Fri night was her first dose of the steroid and she vomited it up about 15 min after taking it and has been vomiting anything she eats since. The only thing she was keeping down sat and today is water and the broth with little chicken so I’m waiting until Tuesday morning to call the doctor since he is out until the holiday.
I was researching chemo and predinisone and side effects with it etc and I’m hearing horror stories of many people saying after giving thejr cat the steroids things happened like diabetes set in or kidney issues etc then the horrid chemo effects. Some say chemo is easier on cats than people or dogs but there is always a risk.
My question is … for those who had or have a cat with small cell lymphoma of the intestines … what was treatment like , how did your cat respond to the treatment . How costly was this …. Was it worth it when you look at the quality of the life your cat had while being treated .
I have so many questions when I talk to oncology wed ( being the holiday they told me she is out until wed and internal medicine told me I need to follow back up with oncology )

I do have pet insurance but I’m about to max out the annual amount I’m allowed to be given and I haven’t even started any treatment yet. I’m debating to do palliative care making sure she is eating and not in pain etc and try to enjoy what little time I have left with her. If I knew for sure chemo / steroids worked and she could live a healthy 1.5-2 years without a ton of complications I would go for it. I have read the chemo can be stopped at any time so it’s always something that could be tried and stopped if needed.
Thoughts ?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Small cell intestinal lymphoma is the most responsive to treatment as far as cancer goes. My cat has it. The standard treatment is usually Chlorambucil AKA Leukeran tablets every other day and Prednisolone on alternating days. Along with that, often Cerenia is needed to avoid vomiting. Sometimes they also need Famotadine. Usually Vitamin B 12 is also supplemented in the form of a small injection you can give yourself at home.

When I give my cat the Chlorambucil (Chemotherapy) I will often give her a dose of Cerenia a couple of hours before hand to avoid nausea.

My cat has been on this protocol for almost 3 years and is doing well with it.

As for the cost, it isn't bad. I get the Chlorambucil compounded from Wedgewood pharmacy and it comes out to something like $60 for 4 months. The Prednisolone is cheap, I buy the largest quantity I can. Usually #100 tablets at a time. Famotadine can be bought over the counter. Vitamin B12 is cheap and you should be able to buy a whole bottle of it which is under $40 and will last probably the duration, Cerenia is expensive. But you don't have to use it that much.

If she is not eating and is vomiting, I would be very concerned that she will become dehydrated. You may have to take her to an ER if it doesn't subside.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
My guy has SCL. Every other day chlorambucil, daily Steroid (Budesonide), daily anti-nausea (Zofran), appetite stimulant (Mirataz) on days of chemo. He also has IBD, so no chicken for him -- he seems to be allergic to it. He is on a prescription novel protein diet.

Good luck..❤🙏

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Most of the information I would have added has been posted. My Chelsea had SCL and was on pred and chlorambucil with little problem. I understand about pet insurance. My two year old boy maxed out his policy a few months ago, not from SCL, and we have some time to go before the renewal period. Treating SCL is not hugely expensive to treat and you have done all of the heavy duty testing which is probably what ate up your insurance. Ask for estimates on everything at this point (you may be automatically getting them regardless), so you know where you stand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aileen666

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So how long did your cat stay on chemo ? I thiight it would stop after so many months ? Did your cat stay on prednisolon for life as well ? I’m reading staying on steroids long term isn’t good either

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cat is still on the Chlorambucil (Chemo) and the Prednisolone every other day. I have tried to decrease them several times, but she didn't do well. Being on steroids for life isn't ideal, but it is better than the alternative.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My cat is still on the Chlorambucil (Chemo) and the Prednisolone every other day. I have tried to decrease them several times, but she didn't do well. Being on steroids for life isn't ideal, but it is better than the alternative.
This was basically our story as well. Chelsea lived for about a year and a half once we started the chlorambucil. She was on pred first as we tried to decide how much testing, if any, we would do, so her duration with the SCL was probably about a year longer.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I started with both because I didn’t want to give her steroids when it was IBD. ( big mistake) I thought I could get it under control with diet. Wrong. Started the Chlorambucil and Prednisolone about 2 1/2 years ago, I think. Maybe more, but I don’t like to think about it, fearing the universe will take note.