Slugger Crossed The Bridge Recently

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago when we had all these strays outside of our house I put an ad up in the vet office advertising "friendly cats", and this somewhat older couple contacted us and they actually are patients at the eye doctors that Deb works for. They came over one Winter day and looked at them from the window and I asked if they had any preferences which ones and they didn't, they just wanted 2 of them so I went out and tried to catch a few, our Simba being one but there was no way he was going, kicked like a wildcat and I am glad since that meant that we got him! But I was able to corral and crate two of the all black ones that Deb had named "Slugger" and "Scooter". They took them home and renamed them "Louie" and "Slugger", and for quite some time they hid but eventually they did come out and were good cats. A few years ago they told us that something went on in their house, a loud noise or something, and Louie got so scared he ran right through the screen door and they never found him :(. Now yesterday the woman was at the doctor's office and Deb said "how's my Slugger doing?" and she told her that he passed away recently, he was very upset and warm and stayed away from them, and shortly after he passed away which sounds a lot like our Skipper a few years back, despite us taking him right away to the vet they couldn't find anything obvious and the next day we came home and he was dead :(.

Although they weren't our cats they certainly had a tie to us, they lived outside our house for awhile with the others, they were a few families ahead of the guys we have inside now but we knew them and used to remember Slugger would run down to greet us when we would come home and open the back garage door. He also used to climb trees and he'd often hurt himself, we'd see him limp around and worry about him but he'd shake it off, but we do remember them both and are saddened but at least they had some good years inside a loving home. We are pretty sure that they had the same mother cat as some of ours now, she was a calm, beautiful tuxedo that we called "Mama cat" and they really look like Skipper did and Slim does.

See you on the other side boys, play happily at the Bridge.....:rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry about slugger take comfort in if you hadn't been there for him he would of never found his forever home. R.I.P. slugger and thankyou for looking out for him.
This made me tear up, thank you...he was a cool cat, wish we could've taken him in but we could only take care of so many back then and now as we have not been under 9 cats for many years now.

He is fine now I know, it just hurts since we knew him and his brother.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have often wondered what happened to cats I had adopted out, a couple that were adopted had wonderful families who stayed in touch for about a year, then communication just died out. Sometimes I think it is best to not know, just go on thinking eveything is fine......
You gave them a wonderful chance to have a home of their own and family to love them. That is all you could ask for. The ties they have with your heart will never die, it is forever.
You are a good person, many would have turned their backs on those brothers in need, but not you. Little Slugger had happy years because of you, little Louie lived out his years outside where he was the most comfortable. Life is not perfect and somehow we muddle through the best we know how. So try to think of them as being happy and better off with their new family, because I'm sure they were. You made a difference in their lives and they are thankful for it......RIP dear Slugger. You will never be forgotten, you will forever have a special place in loving herats. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I have often wondered what happened to cats I had adopted out, a couple that were adopted had wonderful families who stayed in touch for about a year, then communication just died out. Sometimes I think it is best to not know, just go on thinking eveything is fine......
You gave them a wonderful chance to have a home of their own and family to love them. That is all you could ask for. The ties they have with your heart will never die, it is forever.
You are a good person, many would have turned their backs on those brothers in need, but not you. Little Slugger had happy years because of you, little Louie lived out his years outside where he was the most comfortable. Life is not perfect and somehow we muddle through the best we know how. So try to think of them as being happy and better off with their new family, because I'm sure they were. You made a difference in their lives and they are thankful for it......RIP dear Slugger. You will never be forgotten, you will forever have a special place in loving herats. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!
This was beautiful, thank you so much.....

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Slugger, dream you deep. All this time later, your pawprints remain on someone's heart, and will forever.

Thank you for giving this boy a chance for a home and hearth of his own, both him and Louie! Perhaps Louise was at the Bridge, awaiting his best bud's arrival.