Slowly Moving from Indoor to Outdoor

chibby33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kri is a 6 year old, declawed cat who's been indoor all his life. However, everytime I open the front door, or any door around the house, he sprints right outside immediately. Recently he's been crying a lot and looking at me while sitting by the door, like he wants to get out. So here's what I did. . . we have a large FENCED (7 feet high) backyard and I started to let him stay out there. He has a favorite spot under one of the shrubs. I also just purchased a cat house for him (http://www.classypetshop.com/pethous...atplatform.htm) complete with insulation and I provided an outdoor litter box for him as well(spoiled isnt he??).

We let him stay inside at night which is great because now he just stays downstairs near the backyard door. I'm kinda liking this new arrangement because I've always had a problem with his hair being all over the house (I need advice on this as well).

Anybody with the same experience? Outdoor cat owners, also please share your thoughts.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as NO other animals (barring mice) can get in, and you're SURE he can't get out, it sounds ideal. Being declawed, things could get dangerous for him, but if he'll stay in the yard, that's great! Just investigate for unseen hiding places (crawl space, little tunnels at the side to the front street, etc.) and block them off.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i would really think twice about letting a declawed cat outdoors. they are helpless should trouble arise.
you'll also need to make sure you aren't using any harmful chemicals outdoors and be proactive about fleas.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats can climb a fence. I volunteer at the local HS & see a ton of delcawed strays on deaths door. They just cannot defend themselves. I guess, IMO, if he wants out, he'll climb the fence easy.

My suggestion is to keep him indoors only, harness/leash train him(a few of mine go for walks with me), or else rig something on the top of the fence so he cannot get over. Or else whenver he is in the backyard, have a person watching him. Also, if he is going outside, please be sure he it UTD on vaccinations & gets monthly flea/tick preventative.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A declawed cat should NEVER be allowed outside unsupervised. IMO they shouldn't be allowed out period, but that's your decision.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The reason I asked about a fence is that there is a kind of a fence that will keep a cat in. The top of the fence is angled back in toward the yard so that if the cat tried to climb the fence, it can't get over the top. This is just one example of several companies that sell this kind of fence, and I'm sure if you're handy you can build one yourself:

http://www.purrfectfence.com/

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely cat proof the fence, if possible, in the way that coaster mentions. I don't know if being declawed will affect his ability to climb the fence, but a normal 7ft fence wouldn't be too difficult to get over for a lot of cats. He may not show much interest in climbing it now but he may in the future and since he's a declawed cat it's particularly important that he can't get beyond it. Otherwise it sounds great if he's happy with it.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do not know about the others but all my cats go outside. Granted they have their claws but the important thing is that they are all fixed which lessens the need to explore beyond the property. Is Kri neutered?
I agree though that claws are essential not only for defense and protection but also for grip and balance in the outdoors.
Still I am glad that Kri gets to enjoy the fresh air, the sun and the sounds of nature not behind a window pane