SLOW progress

rin68nyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick background: last November, took in a very young mother (Bandit) and her kitten (Venom) who had been living outside. Our other cat (Lion) likes other cats, and was happy to meet them. Bandit, understandably, was not thrilled with him. We did the usual keeping them separate, changing places, feeding on opposite sides of a door, etc. Venom loves Lion, and they get along very well.
We’ve been working on getting Bandit to tolerate Lion, and have made progress. She is easily distracted by food/treats, toys, petting her, etc, and sometimes she will completely ignore him. But every once in awhile she sets her sights on him, and will sneak up, and whack him. He is so gentle, that while he hisses at her, he doesn’t retaliate, and we quickly break it up. We always supervise, but want to give her the opportunity to sniff at him, and walk away, which she sometimes does. This has been going on for 8 months, and we’ve gotten good at redirecting her attention, but it’s getting old, having to keep either her or Lion shut up in a room when we’re not home, or otherwise busy.
I’m off for the summer, and we have a lot of things on our plate, but we will get more sessions in than we had been able to before.
I would love any suggestions to help this situation. It’s not fair to Lion, who has never done anything to her. And otherwise, she is such a sweetie! We had hoped that once she was no longer hungry, and was fed regularly, that the rest would come over time. My husband, who loves all the cats, is starting to suggest that we may need to rehome her. None of us want that. We have Feliway going throughout the house, and lots of playing and pets for all of them, and would love nothing better than to have all 3 of them at least tolerate each other. Advice on where to go from here? Will it get better with just more time? It would be really nice when I go back to work in September, to not have to shut one of them in a room all day long.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, what if you try stopping the feliway temporarily and see how she does? I've read that sometimes it can have an undesirable effect, depending on the cat. It is making me wonder whether that might be the culprit that's causing her to get cranky now and then.

However, a swat now and then is no where near a reason to re-home her. Frankly I'd leave them be and let them work it out. They are cats, and this just isn't that far out of normal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rin68nyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmmm..I’ll have to think on that. I don’t want Lion to get stressed out. It took him a couple of months not to slink away, which only encouraged her attack. I guess we’ll have to see what happens after the swat and hiss…

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmmm..I’ll have to think on that. I don’t want Lion to get stressed out. It took him a couple of months not to slink away, which only encouraged her attack. I guess we’ll have to see what happens after the swat and hiss…
What do you do after the seat and hiss usually? What does "break it up" mean in your home?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rin68nyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Break it up means we separate them so they can both calm down.

I tried as Furballsmom suggested, and at first she sat and ignored him. The she went up, sniffed him, and walked away. Lion is definitely nervous around her. She walked by him a few times, and then swatted. Lion ran, and she chased after him. Lion just kept running, and she kept chasing. I was able to run interference and pick up Bandit, so I shut her in the back room, and then comforted Lion. Then I went to see her, and she was happy to get pets.

A new piece is that our neighbor’s cat, unneutered male (same neighbors we got Bandit and Venom from, and we think he’s the father) has become quite interested in our cats, and that complicates things. It puts both Lion and Bandit on edge. They have picked fights through the window screens, so now we keep the windows shut, where he can get near. I put them in touch with a rescue we’ve worked with before, and they said they will get him neutered, and if that doesn’t stop him from bothering our cats, they would rehome him. This has heightened the stress on the cats, and certainly isn’t helping the situation. At this point, I’d rather wait to try to acclimate them until the neighbor’s cat situation is fixed, but I only have until the end of August before I go back to work, and I was hoping to really work on it this summer.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
You could try to deter him, I have no guarantees but a motion activated sprinkler, a can of the spray that's used to keep cats off counters and pieces of cloth saturated with lemon scented furniture polish...