Slippery Elm Bark Question

catsandcritters

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,
I've read through some other threads on SEB and haven't really seen this addressed, so thought I'd ask. :)

I know SEB can interfere with the absorption of other medications so should be given an hour or two apart from other meds....but is this only for other oral meds? Or ALL meds? Our 16 year old boy is having a bad bout of pancreatitis and isn't eating well so we are starting him on transdermal cyproheptadine (as he's impossible to pill) and we want to try SEB to help with his nausea. Would we have to do them 2 hours apart or is it different for a transdermal or injectable medication?

Thanks!

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the incomparable missmimz. She is far and away the board's expert when it comes to SEB.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let us know how he does. I have one who's just finished a round of pred a few days ago and has thrown up a little bit today :( Pred is not good for the long term and so would much rather have a good safe alternative.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cerenia might help too? Really good for nausea if the SE doesn't help enough.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsandcritters

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! I figured it was only for oral meds but thought I'd double check. He is on a low dose of pred at the moment but it doesn't seem to have helped at all. He's been on it 10 days and no improvement yet :( Not sure if I should up his dose (he's on 3mg/day) or just wean him off since there's been no improvement. So far his glucose levels are fine but I don't want him to become diabetic...

I'm hoping the SEB will work for him as all the vets I've talked to are very reluctant to prescribe Cerenia long term. Fingers crossed it helps!

catsandcritters

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
missmimz - how long does it usually take to see results when using for nausea?

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
missmimz - how long does it usually take to see results when using for nausea?
Pretty quick, within 10 minutes or so usually. It works better for nausea if you make it into a syrup and either syringe or mix into food.

catsandcritters

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried making a syrup, both stove top and microwave, and failed miserably. Couldn't get it to thicken. LOL Cooking is NOT my strong point! I think I'm going to have to just mix it into his wet food with some water added.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried making a syrup, both stove top and microwave, and failed miserably. Couldn't get it to thicken. LOL Cooking is NOT my strong point! I think I'm going to have to just mix it into his wet food with some water added.
Are you using capsules or loose powder?

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Loose powder :)
I've used a couple of brands that don't thicken up as well as others. When i make syrup I use 1/2 cup water to 1 to 1.5tsp powder. It doesn't get super thick, just egg whites consistency. I just simmer it long enough to see it thicken a little and then let it cool. Keep in the fridge for 5-7 days, give 1/4 to 1/2 a tsp via syringe as needed.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used a couple of brands that don't thicken up as well as others. When i make syrup I use 1/2 cup water to 1 to 1.5tsp powder. It doesn't get super thick, just egg whites consistency. I just simmer it long enough to see it thicken a little and then let it cool. Keep in the fridge for 5-7 days, give 1/4 to 1/2 a tsp via syringe as needed.

Does it have a strong or mild taste? Or can you successfully hide it in their food? Honey has not gotten used to being syringed and she's hard to catch.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When i make syrup I use 1/2 cup water to 1 to 1.5tsp powder. It doesn't get super thick, just egg whites consistency. I just simmer it long enough to see it thicken a little and then let it cool. Keep in the fridge for 5-7 days, give 1/4 to 1/2 a tsp via syringe as needed.
I just made some SEB syrup this morning using this recipe, and gave Buddy his first dose via a syringe. He tolerated the taste much better than I had expected, to my surprise and delight. :)

And I thought okra was slippery and slimy. Hee!

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does it have a strong or mild taste? Or can you successfully hide it in their food? Honey has not gotten used to being syringed and she's hard to catch.
SE has a very mild sweet taste, although cats can't taste sweet so it doesn't really taste like anything to them, but it has a bit of a sweet smell. Some cats will take it in baby food or mixed in their regular food no problem. Most of my cats like it mixed in baby food, my dog loves SE by itself.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just made some SEB syrup this morning using this recipe, and gave Buddy his first dose via a syringe. He tolerated the taste much better than I had expected, to my surprise and delight. :)

Excellent! my picky cat doesn't mind the taste either via syringe. I've found that depending on the brand of SE used you have to adjust how much powder to add to get it thick enough.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

How much did you give? And you are giving it for frequent vomiting? And what brand did you use? I'm planning to go to the health food store in a little bit to look for it.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much did you give? And you are giving it for frequent vomiting? And what brand did you use? I'm planning to go to the health food store in a little bit to look for it.
I bought Starwest Botanicals, just because it's the only one I saw that specifically had the word 'organic' written on it.

I had planned to give Buddy 1/4 tsp. to start with to help re: hairball control and chronic constipation, but the syrup kept sliding out of the spoon as I was trying to measure it. :flail:

So I Googled 'convert teaspoon to ml' and found an online calculator, and the equivalent for 1/4 tsp. worked out to be about 1.2 ml. Drawing the SEB syrup up in a syringe was a heck of a lot easier for me! I may at some point try to sneak it into Buddy's food, but for now, the syringe works quite nicely.