Slippery Elm Bark and grass eating

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like the SEB and egg yolk are doing their job. Good job momma! Now you can all enjoy your outside time without fear.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last two Sundays outside, after getting a small meal with SEB added, Mazy brought the grass back up. I really do prefer it that way, even though, because of her issues, she already regurgitates too much.

However, since the SEB coats everything, I feel her esophagus and throat are protected from any acids, if she brings the grass back up. And then I don't have to worry about her passing it, or not passing it.

Maybe, if she brings up grass once a week, she will have less ..."need"..to regurgitate food.

Her whiskers are definitely becoming more luxuriant with the additional raw egg yolk.'

There was no fur on either Sunday, so the fur is passing out the way it should.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Smoothly is the active word Laurie! :) Yesterday I had to be away 9 hours. As soon as I walked in the door I gave Mazy a small amount of food (.35 oz) with a 1/4 tsp serving of SEB (all mixed with 1 tablespoon of water) She gobbled it so fast I was afraid it would all come right back up. However it did NOT come back up, AND she kept her subsequent meals down, too.

9 hours is about 2 hours too long for Mazy, so I was really pleased with the results of using the SEB to smooth things inside for her.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:woohoo: Gail, that's fabulous!!!! :D :D :D

I'm sure you'll find more tweaks long the way - but it sure seems like you've really found a combination that's working WELL for your Mazy! :heart2:

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have so many threads on Mazy and her regurgitation, I never know which one to update.

The additional raw egg yolk, plus the SEB two or three times a week, is doing a great job. Mazy went EIGHTEEN DAYS between regurgitations. The 19th day was an outside day, grass eating day. Three weeks since they had been outside. She did bring up the grass outside, but much later brought up bed time snack, and along with it came her turkey thigh meal from 6 hours earlier. She had trouble the following day too, which is part of her pattern.

Then..she went 14 days. Again, it was an outside grass eating day. Two weeks since the last time they were out. This time she didn't bring up the grass outside. Instead she again brought up her nice turkey thigh meal, but this was right after eating it, and it contained a big wad of grass too. The incident was isolated, she did not have trouble the following day.

The weather has cooperated in not being conducive for outside time on Sundays. I only take them out if it is not too hot, not too cold and not too wet.

I miss the years I used to take them out whenever I had a spare hour. But.....I just don't want Mazy eating all that grass and puking so much.

Regurgitation twice a month....I can live with that, especially since I can sort of blame it on the grass eating.

Last edited:

dubbah22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I give SEB juice to 2 of my cats daily. One has chronic kidney disease, the other has chronic constipation. The SEB has helped both of them. For the chronic constipation guy, SEB has been the only effective remedy that is the most mild on his system. He is now regular whereas when he was on Lactulose and fiber, it was unpredictable. I use the formula from Tanya's CRF site felinecrf.org under the holistic treatments section. I give it in the morning about an hour after they eat and in the evening before bed. I've not tried raw egg yolk but instead give them a little blue green algae for the amino acids. 

kath4now

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been using Slippery Elm powder (from capsules) for over a year for my cat Sox. He had nausea related to kidney disfunction, and the prescription med, Cerenia, stopped working. Without it he wasn't eating. My vet had no alternative suggestion, so I went to the internet & discovered Slippery Elm. People use it too for various stomach problems. I got Now capsules, dissolved the powder in water & gave it to Sox with a dropper. In less than an hour he went over to the food dish and ate. The SE is far superior, in my opinion, than the prescription med, which was terribly bitter and Sox foamed at the mouth every time I gave it to him. The SE has hardly any taste. Some people just mix it into the food, but Sox can detect anything added to his food, plus sometimes he doesn't finish everything. So giving it by mouth is more certain. The SE coats the stomach. At first he was getting it twice a day but now he has improved and needs it only once a day. I'm not sure if it would do anything for your cat and the grass problem, but it probably would greatly help with the throwing up, esp if that is caused by nausea. I like the NOW capsules because the texture of the powder is the best I've found for mixing with water. Some people mix a certain amount in advance, but I just do it each time. I mix it in an egg cup, or any you can just do it in a large spoon. I use just slightly less than the whole capsule; it depends on the weight of the cat. Just google slippery elm felines & you'll get lots of info. Also see Tanya's website on felines kidney disorder.  Also, the SE is lots less expensive than Cerenia. Hope this helps.