Slightly Raised Black Scab On Cats Nose And Nostril Area

Muffint45

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In the last year and a half my male cat who is 6 year old has developed slightly raised black scab like sores on either side of his nose, it started on one side and then appeared on the other side of his nose, under his hair and also in his nostril area. It also appears to come and go, some weeks worse than others. I’ve noticed recently that water droplets often just drip from his nose. I’m on the Island of Borneo and cat care is quite limited.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is a light colored cat meaning if he spends a lot of time outdoors - or, even indoors but in the sunlight - it could be cancer. But, growths on the nose can result from infection or bacteria too. Any of those conditions, unfortunately, warrant a vet visit.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how that would connect with the nose watering. That sounds more like a possible allergy issue - or a simple cold. Clear fluid coming from the nose isn't as common with bacterial issues, but I suppose it can happen.

I hope you find a way to have him looked at, just to be on the safe side!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he spends time outside, it is just possible that this is secondary to sunburn, but only just possible.

Is chamomile tea available in grocery stores there? The commercially prepared tea bags? If so, brew a cup, chill it to no more than room temp, cooler is best, then apply it to the area with a soft cloth. Don't scrub it on, just dab. The chamomile has both antibacterial and anti fungal properties, and may help you manage this until you can have him seen professionally.

BTW...you live in one of the most beautiful places in the world...but there is always a trade-off, isn't there?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Muffint45

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is a light colored cat meaning if he spends a lot of time outdoors - or, even indoors but in the sunlight - it could be cancer. But, growths on the nose can result from infection or bacteria too. Any of those conditions, unfortunately, warrant a vet visit.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how that would connect with the nose watering. That sounds more like a possible allergy issue - or a simple cold. Clear fluid coming from the nose isn't as common with bacterial issues, but I suppose it can happen.

I hope you find a way to have him looked at, just to be on the safe side!
Thanks for this, he’s an indoor cat but the sun is quite fierce here and come to think about it, he actually does spend quite a lot of time sleeping at the windows.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Muffint45

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If he spends time outside, it is just possible that this is secondary to sunburn, but only just possible.

Is chamomile tea available in grocery stores there? The commercially prepared tea bags? If so, brew a cup, chill it to no more than room temp, cooler is best, then apply it to the area with a soft cloth. Don't scrub it on, just dab. The chamomile has both antibacterial and anti fungal properties, and may help you manage this until you can have him seen professionally.

BTW...you live in one of the most beautiful places in the world...but there is always a trade-off, isn't there?
Thanks for this, yes, Chamomile tea is available here, I’ll give this a try.

carole692

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In the last year and a half my male cat who is 6 year old has developed slightly raised black scab like sores on either side of his nose, it started on one side and then appeared on the other side of his nose, under his hair and also in his nostril area. It also appears to come and go, some weeks worse than others. I’ve noticed recently that water droplets often just drip from his nose. I’m on the Island of Borneo and cat care is quite limited.
Hi, I saw your post, my cat has got the same thing on her nose, I wonder if you could tell me if you were able to find out what was on your cars nose? Thank you

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The OP was here for only the day of the posts in 2019, so I doubt you will get a response. Generally speaking, a black patch or scab like that on the nose should be seen by the vet to rule out anything serious. If it falls off and returns, that can also be indicative of an ongoing skin problem.