Sleepwalking?

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a sleepwalker (and a sleeptalker). I've had episodes my entire life, ever since I was a small child, and there doesn't seem to be any particular pattern to them: episodes are quite sporadic (sometimes I'll have several in one week, sometimes there won't be one for months) and don't seem to be set off by any health issues, change in sleeping pattern or lifestyle, or anything out of the ordinary. They just happen.

When I was quite young I sleep-walked around my entire neighbourhood, in my pyjamas, and ended up in my parents' garden, with muddy feet but otherwise none the worse for wear. Fortunately it was summertime, although I suspect I would have woken up if it had been cold outside. This was over twenty years ago and despite living in a small town and in a quiet neighbourhood, my parents locked the doors even then and I still managed to get out. (I left the door open, though -- thank goodness we didn't have any pets back then!) Another time I came downstairs from my bedroom, sat down beside my father on the couch, and carried on a conversation with him (that I had no recollection of come morning). Once, when my younger sister and I shared a bedroom, our mother came in and heard us talking in gibberish to each other (we both talk in our sleep); we weren't speaking English, but whatever we were saying to each other apparently made sense in our minds!

Now that I'm older, incidents are less common and somehow more embarassing. During my first year of university, when I lived in residence, I dragged my roommate's chair across the floor of our room and put it beside my bed so that I could climb up on it to retrieve (non-existent) stuffed animals from the (purely imaginary) shelves over my bed. I was very startled to wake up in the morning and see the chair sitting beside my bed -- I remembered dreaming about climbing to reach my stuffed animals, but didn't think I'd actually tried to do it!

Living with my boyfriend just makes things worse, because I always wake him up and he gets a big kick out of my sleepwalking/sleeptalking. I once went into the bathroom to take my shower, started the water, started stripping, only to wake up and realize it was only 2am! Another time I poked my boyfriend in the nose (waking him up), giggled and turned away. I also frequently leap out of bed because I "see" spiders (or other insects) either in my bed or dangling from spiderwebs over my head.

Now that I'm older, I have a tendency to wake up in mid-action (except for the chair incident), so I typically stop myself from doing incredibly stupid things, like turning the stove on or tumbling down the stairs. My boyfriend also usually wakes up with me, at least partially, so if I start doing something out of character or odd for that time of night, he'll stop me. I'm lucky in that I haven't had any bad accidents or incidents (which is amazing, because I'm remarkably clumsy even when I'm fully conscious!), but I'm uncomfortable sleeping in new places because I'm afraid of what I'll do. And I hate, hate, HATE being told of the stupid things I did while I was asleep -- it's almost always intensely embarassing.

meldonn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My son only sleepwalked once. He was about 4 and since I am a light sleeper I could hear someone walking down our stairs. I followed him and he went into the kitchen and got into the fridge. The whole time he was just talking about thing (it was almost like he had someone with him). He finally just got a drink of water and when went back to bed. I asked him the next morning if he remembered doing it and he said no and thought I was crazy. Now he does not sleep walk anymore but he does sleep talk and sometimes he will just start screaming. It was bad when he was younger (he is now 9). He started doing this when he was about 3. He would sit up in bed and start talking or screaming and I would go in and have to get him to lay back down and relax. He also had really bad leg cramps when he was little so from the time he was 2 until he was 4 I was up everynight between 12am to 3 am dealing with either leg cramps or talking/screaming in his sleep. The screaming was the hard part because he would wake up my husband with the screaming and my husband would go in and start yelling at him. I would have to explain to my husband that he is asleep and can not hear him. It took a little while for my husband to understand it but eventually he understood it. Now my son will just talk into his sleep which you can not understand and he does not remember. It is sometimes funny...

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was home for the Cristmas holidas staying with my parents. My brother got home late (he's a long haul truck driver) and went to bed. He started sleepwalking at 5 am he got up and went into my parents room pulled my mother's pillow out from under her head and was mumbleing somthing about unloading the truck. He then proceeded into my room climbed into my bed which upset the cats like you can't imagine started yelling something to the point of "I can't do it all alone" My mom came in and directed him off to his own room and locked the door. My brother is 29 and had never sleep walked in his life. We attribute it to him being over tired. It scared the crap out of me!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont sleep walk but i sleep talk

Once i was over at a friends house and i was talking about chickens, how we should fence them up in her garden, she obviously had no chickens!