Sleeping W/ Zoe: Can't Sleep!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kahn sleeps in my sisters room. Noel sleeps at some point, usually on the bed, but she's never any further than outside the room (if she chooses to sleep in the hall instead)... Joyeux, Pogue and Bagheera sort of pick and choose when they want to sleep with me. That being said, they do try to play during the night.. at some point, and you just have to tune them out as best as possible. It's one of the reasons I leave my door cracked, so they can go out into the rest of the household and play if they want. I just kept them locked in the first week or so... till they get the idea that cuddling at night is done in the bed..

Noel is older and doesn't have the same energy level as the other ones... Bagheera, Joyeux and Pogue will chase each other around the house pretty much all the time except when they've tired themselves out and have to sleep (or at feeding time).. Noel is also the oldest and most territorial, so it often depends on whether she "allows" someone else to get up on the bed or not. Sometimes she stands guard in the hallway. Kahn does sleep all the way through the night in my sisters room, or at least, he doesn't go about waking her up. I think it just depends on the cat. Kahn is very routine oriented, as is Noel.

Hmm, well, if tiring her out seems to be what is working... I'd spend the time wearing her out *before* you head to bed. I wouldn't get up in the middle of the night to do it. That's me though. I'm a serious grump about my sleep time, lol. But, certainly you can try to play longer with her before bed and that might do the trick. Just keep an eye on her. If she's anything like mine..they'll play till they can't even stand up anymore... and flop down, panting, and will *still* chase after it even when they're completely exhausted. When they get to the point where they're breathing hard and flopping down, I just stop playing with them, because the Bengals and the Mau are little lunatics.

Off topic, but since you're doing rodeo, are you barrel racing, and then I'm assuming you have Quarter horses... PM me if you're interested in talking about it... I used to do the horsey thing, but haven't in years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
(Actually, I didn't participate in the rodeo. The PRCA came to our town and I did some cowboy poetry at a little session thing. I don't do barrel racing or speed events like that because we have ranch horses [yes they are all Quarter Horses] and barrel racing would ruin a good cowhorse. But I am gonna start doing the roping in them next year, that's what I'm interested in.)

See, Zoe doesn't have any playmates, that's the problem. Mom doesn't want an indoor cat even, she just took Zoe in because she is white, so another room-mate is out of the question. Besides, if we took a kitten from her litter, that would leave one kitten by itself, with no-one to play with outside. So she'll learn I guess, I'll try to tune her out at night. Mom is still in town, so when she comes home she is bringing that little toy, I hope it works!
And I did try to wear her out, but it doesn't last for long is the problem! But Mom just let her do what she wants, she didn't really play with her. She kept falling asleep and Mom kept waking her up. I'll just have to spend about one to one and a quarter hours before I plan on going to bed letting her run around. But of course, I toss and turn in my sleep, so maybe she would sleep better in the crate due to that. I'm thinking that I'll get her used to the crate, and when she gets older, then try to let her sleep with me? In like a month or so when she's just a little more mature? I dunno, I'll try a couple more nights with this new toy...

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd just plop her on the bed with me, close the door, and then pet her and snuggle her for awhile until she starts to fall asleep... even if you're reading you can still put a hand on her while you're reading, just move it to turn a page every so often..when cats sleep, they sleep. They don't wake up or get up because you move..at least none of ours will get up because of us tossing or turning (literally... Noel and Kahn both have been known to sleep on our legs and be tossed off when we roll over.. only to go right back to sleep).. I'd just close the door and let her be herself, she'll get down and play.. and then probably be back up when she's tired. I'd say now is the age for her to learn to cuddle with you and bond with you. She'll have already established some patterns once she's a bit older.

Maybe someone else will know for sure. That's definitely not an expert opinion on my part, just what I've noticed with mine. I think that toy will help, though.

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I have found out how to make her tired!
I bring her in at about 8:15. Then I play with her with her little pom-pom-on-a-string toy and her yarn and paper wads. She likes the toy, but she just is too little to swat it hard enough to get it to go all the way around just yet. She'll learn though I guess... I hope! Anyway, I do that for like half an hour. Then I just turn her loose in the house and let her run around and follow her around. Then I put her in the office (our office is totally cluttered, there is TONS of fun stuff in here, but nothing harmful. only cords and I watch her) and she explores and I help her play with her yarn while I get here on the computer and talk to ya'll. She'll start jumping up onto my lap to sleep, but I keep putting her down and making her play. I can tell when she is COMPLETELY tired. And the jumping 2 feet high really tires her out... Thanks for the help!
I'll put her in bed with me and see what happens

EDIT: Well, she had to eat again.
Now she really wants to sleep but she hasn't pottied or pooed tonight yet! She'll wake me up at night! Oh well...
I think what I'll do is put her in her crate for about 3 more nights, get her used to the fact that "nighttime is sleep time, not playtime", get her into a ritual you know? Then I'll start putting her in with me at night, once she gets the idea of nighttime being sleeptime, so I won't have quite so many interruptions at night, cause I'm kind of cranky when it comes to me sleeping.
Right now she is in my lap watching me type (she loves that because I type really fast, and she loves walking across the keyboard and watching stuff appear on the screen). I bet she'll sleep with me tonight, but I am really tired and I don't want for her to pick up the feeling I'm upset with her if she wakes me up at night! Like I said, a couple more nights in the crate (this time she'll be in my room) then I'll try in my bed.
Well, I guess she can either hold it or go in her crate like she did once. Lol... night ya'll!

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She made it till 4:00 am.
But atleast it's much better than what we had going on! And I think it was because my dog started sneezing really bad, and it kind of startled me and I said "Tucker?" and she knew I was awake and started meowing after that, so kind of my fault...
As far as the Cat'N'Mouse toy... I think she's too little or something? What does the battery-operated one do different? Does it like stop when Zoe paws it, then start again on it's own? I think that'd be better for her! She'll mess with it, try to rip the mouse out, then gets bored when it goes nowhere because 80% of the tie she won't swat it hard enough. Should I take it back and exchange it for the battery operated one?

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, mine is "easy", where if you just touch it, it goes all the way around. She shouldn't have any trouble with swatting it and it whizzing around the track. Maybe that one in particular is just more difficult, but mine if you just touch it, basically, it literally flies around the track until it hits something. I haven't tried the battery operated one, so I don't know how it is, I just suspect that it's noisy. I imagine that you turn it on and it moves the mouse around the track until you turn it off.

If you haven't already, try "teaching" her how to use it.. just bat it back and forth for her, till she starts swatting it herself. Mine have all played with that one as kittens, and had no problems with it.

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine is very light as well but she doesn't really swat at it; she kind of pulls and bites at it and puls it back and forth. I don't think she really gets the concept yet... But I've been moving it for her, hopefully she gets the concept without me always having to operate it for her! She is using the scratching pad though, rather than the carpet!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it doesn't take them long to learn to use the scratching pad. She'll probably get the hang of the track mouse eventually. If she doesn't, take it outside and get the others to play with it, and hopefully if they see it and know how to play with it, she'll get it.

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, she won't swat it so it'll go around the track. i'll bring her sister, brother, cousins and aunt and uncle (who are really her age!
) in here to play with it, maybe she'll get the hang of it.