Sleeping Under the Covers

theblackswapper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

This morning I found my cat Echo sleeping by my feet under my blanket. I'm worried one day she'll do this and she'll suffocate from being under the blanket with no oxygen coming in.

Am I worrying about nothing? Are cats smart enough to not put themselves in positing where they might not get enough air, or should I pay more attention to this?

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

This morning I found my cat Echo sleeping by my feet under my blanket. I'm worried one day she'll do this and she'll suffocate from being under the blanket with no oxygen coming in.

Am I worrying about nothing? Are cats smart enough to not put themselves in positing where they might not get enough air, or should I pay more attention to this?
Blankets are not air tight or thousands of people a year would be found dead under them.

Your feet are warm, and even warmer under the blanket. Sounds like she's found her spot :) If she's tiny you need to be careful you don't squish her, but by your feet she'll be fine. Loki does the same thing with my wife every night.

I'm more concerned about you. Sooner or later you are going to wiggle your toes in your sleep. When that happens come back on here and tell us all about  it once you've counted them to make sure they are all there  :)

Last edited:

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it's pretty normal cat stuff. Sgt. Pepper's favorite nighttime sleeping spot is on my legs or feet. He's been obsessed with my feet since he was a kitten actually. In the cold months, he burrows under the covers and sleeps there. If I kick or move too much, he just curls up next to my feet or legs or behind my knees if I'm on my side. Boogie Bear will also get under the covers when it's cold and curl up by my left side.

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sinbad loves sleeping under the covers with me so much that he often tries to chase me into the bedroom and onto the bed during the day when he wants to nap. 

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's pretty normal. All my cats like sleeping under the covers from time to time, especially in the winter, they like the warmth. Just be careful not to move your feet too much in your sleep. My cat treasure loves to sleep under the covers more than the others and will sleep right against me. She always hisses and growls at me if I accidentally bump her while I'm sleeping to let me know she is there. Never had my feet bit though.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
My boy doesn't just sleep under the blankets... he kneads my side whenever he wakes up, and not just for a little while.

I am eternally grateful that he lets me clip his claws.

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

My boy doesn't just sleep under the blankets... he kneads my side whenever he wakes up, and not just for a little while.

I am eternally grateful that he lets me clip his claws.
I hear you. Sinbad loves to knead my thighs.

kitty kisser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Princess Rose Spookie Cat has started climbing under my blankets. She usually doesn't stay too long cause of the heat I guess. New Mexico is pretty warm this time of year but we will be moving to Oklahoma in the next month so she may become more of a burrrer there to me it's cold! Can't wait to light the fire place in our new home! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theblackswapper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's is all really helpful. Thanks everybody!