Sleeping under the covers

wispyrustle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, my new kitten (about 10 weeks old) *insists* on crawling way under my covers every night to snuggle up with my lower half, usually my feet. Its cute and it doesn't bother me, but there is no air down there?! He sleeps there ALL night, too. Should I be concerned about this or do kitties have magical powers to sleep with no air under covers?

subconsciousme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my kittens does this as well. She has never presented with any problems related to breathing, so I hope it is fine myself. As far as I understand it, cats need less oxygen than we do and people have been known to sleep under sheets... so I am guessing it is ok.

nandsthecats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Ned, who's five, has done this since he was a kitten too. Even if I'm not around, that's where he likes to sleep during the day - under the covers on the bed, or under a blanket I leave on the couch for him. If there's something like a newspaper laying on the floor, he'll even manage to sleep under it! I think some cats are just burrowers.

I used to worry about it, but now I just make sure that there's an easy exit (i.e. the blanket is free on more than one side, not totally tucked in). Enough air must be getting through, or he wouldn't do it regularly, you know? It's never been a problem, so I just trust at this point that he's not going to let himself smother.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Imhotep has also always done this. I often curl up on the couch with a blanket and he is ALWAYS under there with me snuggling.

frankthetank

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Joey loves to curl up under the covers at my feet. I worried at first, but he has always been fine, and just LOVES it. <3

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Flambe TRIES to go down by my feet. He even lies down. Then after a while, he starts licking my feet. Then he bites. Then he gets chased out!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When Speedboat was alive and an inside cat, there was always a lump in the middle of my bed. He would crawl up under the edge of the quilt and sleep uner it. He knew the way out.

chinacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Newt loves to sleep under a throw we have on the sofa. She will paw at it until I lift it up for her to get under.
When she was a kitten she used to snuggle up under the duvet with me, she doesn't now she's grown up (she's three) and I miss it! Enjoy his snuggles, they might not last.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I figure they start wiggling out if they get too hot or they can't breathe, so I just leave them alone. Sometimes I wonder how they can stand the SMELL under the covers at times.

lil annie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well Marigold will sleep under the covers right in between me and the boyfriend and will sometimes steal the lower portion of the pillow. Here is a picture of her sleeping under the covers by the pillow:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wispyrustle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haha! I love that name Flambe! Well Romy has been tickling and nipping my feet a little in the mornings to wake me up - I could probably live without that but I'm definitely just going to enjoy this kitten phase while he still wants to snuggle like that. I have figured out that he also has a bit of a foot fetish (he licks everyones feet, sleeps on feet, smells shoes, etc), I guess thats why he insists on sleeping so deep under the covers

kittymcg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boy does this too. At certain points in the night he crawls out because he is hot and gets a drink (usually from my glass).
Our other kit runs and hides in the bed under the cover when we turn the vacuum cleaner on. Bless um.

trimph1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both Spring and Sweetpea will sleep under the covers with us when we are in bed---
They like 'sharing' the bed with us!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your kitten sleeps through the night politely with you?! Consider yourself very lucky!

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lmao, if my boys are under the covers...they are up to something. They don't go there to sleep, it's to attack my feet!
My dog sleeps under blankets though. In fact, if she can't get under blankets, she will go in my shirt. Kinda glad the kittens don't do that...their claws are sharper!