Sleeping Beauty

mommallama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my baby-girl, Orbit. I take it her sleeping other than when she gets up to eat, drink, or potty is normal for pregnancy because she just saw the vet this morning and was told she is in excellent health but dang. So I am wondering if anyone else has a super sleepy expectant momma? And what's with her always laying in the bathroom? lol
Also, I don't know when to expect her babies:help:

I know that she was dumped outside by owner. That a neighbor took her in for what she estimated was 2-3 weeks and during that time it was noticed that she was preggers and she was getting too stressed by their 3 neutered male kitties. We got her on Aug 31st, and she was noticeably pregnant and could see her shoulder and hip bones :( She has been eating well and often since coming home with us and especially craves tuna. And today when she was seen by the vet, she looked like this

and the doc said she's 9.3 lbs, and the ultrasound showed at least 2 babies and their heartbeats so doc said her guess is she must be in her 2nd month. Have also noticed some very faint twitches when she's sleeping (maybe the babies are starting to kick?)
So, not sure how long she's got to go??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommallama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
another pic from a slightly different angle

mommallama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When my daughter was holding her today, noticed she had dried milk? on her teats. Not sure what that means as far as time till delivery? Anyone know at approx how many weeks that starts?

mommallama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Orbit got to acting pretty strange a bit ago, mewing at my daughter till she followed her into the bathroom (Orbit's fav room) and then got in her bed (which she's only touched briefly once before) and got to mewing louder and insistently until my daughter got me in there to check on her. Stopped the mewing but kept staring at me until I started stroking her gently, at which time she switched to extremely loud purring while laying in the bed scooching around and kneading the bed pad. Also noticed once she got settled what looked like a contraction because it was much more pronounced than when i've seen the kittens move. But now she's just sleeping in there so I don't knowo_O Also, turned up her nose at her food this morning, when any other time she can't eat it fast enough

mommallama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: we have kittens! Labor started shortly before 11pm and was over around 12:15am. Sadly the 1st was a pinky-sized fetus. I got scared and called the emergency vet but they said as long as she has 1 kitten every hour and doesn't seem in distress, no worries. Then came the "twins," boy and girl, all white, and looking healthy although the girl is a bit smaller. Then a grey boy that was stillborn. Tried to resuscitate via instructions from vet but couldn't. Followed by a healthy grey girl. So, 3 healthy kittens in with mom. They seem to be nursing ok, but had a really hard time finding where to go at first.
This morning, I noticed when she got out of the bed to eat, one was still latched on and fell off outside the bed. She just kept licking at it and then got in the bed without it and licked it from there occasionally. Didn't seem to know to pick it up and put it back in, so I did. Will this instinct come to her? Should I just be leaving them alone and let her figure it out?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you weigh the kittens every day? That will help you to know if you need to intervene. You can definitely put the kittens back in the nest if they end up outside the box.

mommallama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I unfortunately do not have a means to weigh them right now. How much should they be gaining each day tho? Pics taken today, born Friday at midnight

mommallama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry about another post so soon, but I forgot to ask what is a good diet for Orbit while she's nursing? She seems famished :( I have had her free-feeding on dry Purina Kitten Chow with tuna mixed in, but I think she needs something else now because she only eats a tiny bit of it, compared to before she had her kittens, and follows us around the kitchen meowing constantly and comes running when she hears anything that sounds like the food bag. Should I feed her wet food? Thank you for any advice

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
About 10+ grammes a day is good in raise.

Wet food is good for momma.
Goats milk or some kmr useful.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please get a scale. They have them for cheap at stores like Walmart. You want a kitchen or postage scale that weighs in grams.

They need to gain at least 6-10g per day.

Mom should have access to dry kitten food at all times and meals of wet food throughout the day.

If mom still has a collar on, please remove it.