Sleeping Advice

doublewee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I'm quite new to owning a cat, me and my girlfriend (who have had cats before) have had our little male British Shorthair for about two months now. He is about 6 months old.

We have a sleeping problem. In fact, when writing this, 11 AM, I feel like I've been punched in the face due to lack of sleep. This is where all of you come in.

We live in a somewhat spacious three room apartment. Starting out, we've had a sleeping policy of our bedroom door being slightly open (enough for the cat to go in and out), because we like the idea of him being able to go around freely. Now, the problem is that he continuously wakes up around 5 AM and wants to wake us up - not to our liking. To add to this, he likes to bite, mainly me, but also my gf. When he does, I grab him by the neck and firmly tell him "No!" and then gently push him down on the floor, to show that "Don't do that". It's become a little bit better recently, but it's still a thing. We've also tried to just lock him out of our bedroom door, leaving him alone in the living room/kitchen, and that's worked out mostly okay.

But for the last couple of days, once we close our door, he starts meowing in protest. Then we've resorted to moving him to the kitchen, where we can close the door. This results in him just meowing louder.

I've understood this is a common problem. How do we solve this? Is it all about getting ear plugs and hanging in there until he gets used to not being in our bedroom for the entire night? Any tips for the biting?

And also, we think that he could be cozier in general, he's not super keen on sitting in our laps and things like that, BUT, at 5AM, he becomes the cuddle master. He purrs really loud and loves being all up in my face with his coziness and general cuteness. Is this also a thing that we can affect?

Thanks for reading, happy for any advice.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Congrats on the adoption of your kitten. :catlove:

If you can, please post a picture of the little sweetie. :camera:
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

Your little guy is still very young, so it'll be a while yet till he outgrows his kitten stage.

Has he been neutered yet? At 6 months, that's about the right age.

About his waking you up at night, that's a very common thing. TCS has an article on the topic, that may be helpful.
How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night (step-by-step Plan)

Also here's a few that might have suggestions to help with his biting.
Cat Aggression Toward People
How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats
Teach Your Kitten How to Play Nice : The Humane Society of the United States

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH, he is so being a normal kitten! Cats are crepuscular, that is, they are at their most active at dawn and dusk...just the time their much larger cousins in the wild are out hunting! He'll learn, eventually, that although you don't insist on him sleeping at the time, you do insist on you sleeping at this time. The articles linked by rubysmama rubysmama are very good, indeed.

Insofar as the cuddling goes, the fact that he is a cuddlemaster at 5 AM bodes well for his future as a cuddler. He's a young, growing boy, busy exploring his world (very much like a toddler at this stage), with more important things to do than snuggle with Mom and Dad...but he will outgrow that later on, and spread that 5 AM love throughout the day.