Sleep Differences After Vet Stay

blindxsecrets

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My three-year-old kitty, Larry, just recently returned home after a four-day stint at the vet. I've never had one of my babies away from me for so long, and I'm not sure what to expect. He came home maybe 15 hours ago and I've noticed a few things that are starting to worry me, but I'm not sure if I'm overreacting or not.

First of all...when he sleeps...he starts twitching really quickly after laying down. I read this usually happens 15 minutes in, when they are in full REM, but he starts twitching and has facial spasms very quickly. I've seen him do this a little bit before the vet, but since he's been home, it's been every time he curls up and looks like he's falling asleep.

A few minutes ago I had him in my lap....and I couldn't tell if he was awake or not. He settled in and was purring, but he wasn't responding to me right away and was acting as if he had fallen asleep sitting up. He twitched some and his eyes were partially open.

I'm worried he didn't sleep much while at the vet, but I've never seen him fall asleep sitting up before. Nor has he been semi-difficult to wake in the past. He also never twitched as much, and at first I was worried he was having a seizure (but I looked online at videos and it's mostly sleep-twitching and facial spasms).

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I go into panic mode.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he was at the vet for a medical reason he may still be recovering. He could also be very tired and didnt sleep well at the vet, causingchim to pass out quickly safe at home. My boy has had a few overnight and a five day vet stay but not those specific after effects.

I'd probably follow up with your vet just to be on the safe side.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Check with your vet, to be on the safe side, but also know that it might take him 2-3 days to fully settle back down and completely relax. My own girl, who does NOT tolerate change well, can be antsy for a day or two after just a visit to the vet, never mind an overnight or extended stay.