Skittish kitten

christinela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A week ago Friday we adopted two kittens. The one in my avatar is Ruby, 3 months. She was rescued from a dump so she has no experience being a pet. Bonnie is 7 months and PERFECT. She gets along with everyone, is tolerant of my 3.5 year old daughter and the dog, she's just a great pet.

Ruby spent a few days in hiding. I'd try to socialize with her one on one and she loved being petted and brushed. Last weekend though, she tried to hide in my fireplace and I did have to be a little forceful to get her out. She was ok after some love and brushing.

Now, she will come out with the rest of the family but is still SO skittish. She allows NO contact, whatsoever. I can get her to come close with treats or food, but if I attempt to pet her she jumps up and runs away.

I'd LOVE to love on her but I'm afraid to force it. Am I doing this right? Should I still wait for her to come to me?

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah do not force it, it will only have the opposite effect then you want, wait for her to come to you so she will learns on her own terms that you are trustworthy and she can loves you. let her sniff your hand before petting her, quicky pet her and quickly offer a treat do this for couple of days, pet her longer and longer, offering treats each time eventually you won't need treats  

Last edited: